Enlighten me?

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by threecats, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Hopefully without technoing me to death. I have generally been using Elements 6 over Capture NX simply because I prefer the interface. I don't do much in adjustments etc. Up until viewing this shot I had not noticed a glaring difference between the overall images between the two.

The first shot is the original JPG opened and saved in Elements.
    The second shot is the original raw opened and converted as is to JPG in Elements.
    I will say that the original JPG (top)is close to what I saw on the d300 lcd and the raw (bottom) is probably closer to original scene

The question is is Elements raw not seeing the in camera adjustments? I had sharpening +6 saturation +1

Also fwiw these shots show much more sky coverage of color than I recall their being. Could that have been due to the split ND?

thanks, glenn
    I know about the sensor spots. It's a wet clean issue, ain't been brave enough yet , easily cloned

2799854732_e239dfa241_b.

2799854570_fae15d2f80_b.

2. dwind

dwind Guest

The camera settings are known only by nx.

3. I'm confused. You mention a glaring difference between the image opened in Elements and NX. Yet you are showing both pictures opened in Elements. (I assume you mean that you opened and converted the RAW file in ACR rather than Elements, but that doesn't change the point you are making.)

You might want to open the original RAW in NX and show it here using a screen shot. Also open the original RAW in NX and convert it as to a JPEG. You will then have the four possible combinations of both file formats and both software applications.

4. The images are the original raw file opened in PSE6 and just converted straight to a jpeg and the original in camera jpeg opened in elements. I was shooting raw and jpeg fine.

I may try your idea however but wanted to clear up the confusion.
    Thanks!,
    glenn

I believe dwind may have answered part of it. As to why it seems more sky is tinted than I recall that's another mystery

5. bh626

bh626

Mar 6, 2006
    Ontario
    ACR knows some settings but not white balance. That is the main difference in the two shots. Open the nef in NX and you should get something very similar to the in camera jpg.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.