Critique Enoki Mushrooms and Filet Mignon

I made a photo only of raw enoki mushrooms displayed at Critique - Enoki Mushrooms. My follow-up to that photo is shown below.

The beef was cooked on a smoking cast-iron grill pan. The mushrooms were blanched and served with a sauce primarily made of reduced red wine and rich, thick balsamic vinegar. Touches of olive oil, pressed garlic, orange juice and soy sauce were the other sauce ingredients. The meal, which also included a side dish of carrots glazed in butter, was paired with a Bordeaux red wine made primarily of Cabernet Franc. Everything was delicious!

Setup
The camera was suspended from above on a boom. Two small continuous-light lamps were on the left and right sides close to the scene to create soft shadows.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Wow Mike. Beautifully prepared, presented, and captured. I'll bet that dish would also pair nicely with a red burgundy or a pinot from the pacific northwest. Does the enoki mushroom have a strong or subdued flavor?

Thanks, Rick!

Any pinot noir would be too light to my taste because it wouldn't stand up to the beef. Otherwise, it would be fine with everything else I served.

The enoki mushrooms themselves have very little flavor the way I fixed them (blanched). All of the flavor was in the sauce. It was the texture of the mushrooms that was so appealing. I wonder if sautéeing them would add considerable flavor to them. Even if not, using them for their texture and as a carrier for a sauce is enough reason to enjoy them. This is only the one time I've eaten them, so hopefully people with more experience will add their thoughts.

Last edited:
I was thinking Syrah.
Dinner here was crab risotto with pan con tomate and washed down with a Vermentino, Verdiciccio and a Vernaccia, and the dregs of a 2014 WA Syrah. I missed my meat!

I was thinking Syrah.
Syrah also would have worked well. The nice thing about making your own sauce is that you can tweak it to go with the wine. Before supper, my wife and I were drinking the last bit of a Chinon Cab Franc that had been opened a couple days earlier. I was in the mood to follow that up with a Bordeaux blend made primarily of Cab Franc, so I made the sauce to go well with it.

crab risotto
It's more important for one to know his limitations than his strengths. I gave up making risotto years ago after many failed attempts and not one single success. Risotto for me is always enjoyed when made by friends or at a restaurant.

Thank you to Randy and Bob!

I would have paired with a Baco Noir
Not an easy wine grape to find in America. I think I've had it only once and that was only at a wine tasting at a winery two years ago while I was on vacation in New York's Finger Lakes region. Even then it was blended with Noiret (another grape I've only tasted that one time).

Last edited:
Thank you to Randy and Bob!

Not an easy wine grape to find in America. I think I've had it only once and that was only at a wine tasting at a winery two years ago while I was on vacation in New York's Finger Lakes region. Even then it was blended with Noiret (another grape I've only tasted that one time).
Niagara Peninsula - Henry of Pelham Wines - for me sets the standard for Baco..They just put out before Christmas a 30 year anniversary celebratory Baco that is superb!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom