Enough Already -- I just want to learn

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Eagles don't travel in flocks.

Bruce

LOLOL - fine answer!! :biggrin:

My response would be a simple: Because I like to shoot with the best. Nikon has a great lineup of lenses and one of the best flash systems in the world. The ergonomics are excellent and it does everything I want to do with my photography. Cannon makes great cameras and if I didn't shoot a Nikon I would choose Canon.

+1...!

I spoke for a few minutes...and then the first question came: "why did you buy a Nikon? Isn't that just for people who care more about brand names than the photos?"
The poor fellow. :)

I had a former colleague who used to rant and rave about how much better his Canons were. He was so proud. This was two years ago. I just ran into him the other day with his D700.

Does the brand really make that much difference? Obviously, I like my Nikon but really, Cannon's probably work just fine. I got a D90 'cuz I have Nikon lenses from years ago. Actually, that's one reason to go with a particular brand...good, solid history.

Actually, I like Cannons - got a shot of this one this weekend:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Oh, shot taken with a D90;)

I get the nikon canon comments a lot. But i also get a lot of strange comments because i shoot film 90% of the time. People ask me "who makes that camera" "Is that the new Olympus?" then they take a closer look and see it is *just* an FE.

The Nikon/Canon argument sits in the same category as the Pepsi/Coke argument. One may taste better, but the other is what you drink, one mixes better the other is ice cold, they have their perks.

But anyone who starts dogging someone for choosing a different brand should get a stamp on the forehead. "Beginner" :biggrin:

A guy asked about my camera Saturday, and then went on to tell me about his daughters digital camera that also shot film.

Must have been a cannon. Ignore them and take the good advice here.:smile:

I tape up the Nikon and D40 on my camera now with gaffer tape and when I get asked what I have, I reply, it doesn't matter.

The affordability of dSLRs = lots of gearheads buying dSLRs.

Just learn to ignore them :)

........ I spoke for a few minutes...and then the first question came: "why did you buy a Nikon? Isn't that just for people who care more about brand names than the photos?"
wow did someone actually ask you that? That was not funny at all and straight up rude. I would have told his face to take his white lens and shove it up his.. um.. you know what I mean.

Hi,

something isn't right, just because lots of people do it.

A german comedian said once: "Eat sh*t, millions of bugs can't be wrong".

Canon ran a commercial campaign here, supposed to show how easy their cameras are to use. Quote "Welcome to the playground".

Since then, it's easy to argue why I use Nikon: I want a tool, not a toy.

Don't care what others think, do your best and enjoy the best tool for the purpose. Discussing these issues is useless ...

Regards

Mattes

I guess you could always respond by "taking the p*ss" as is a common saying here in Aussie land.

"When I wanted to buy a camera I bought one from a camera company. If I had wanted to buy a photocopier, well............":smile:

Seriously, I did a class here and it was like 98% Canon users but meh, could care less really, just concentrate on the photography. If your class takes the equipment too seriously, you might want to look for another one.

Sounds like a great class, all concentrating onthe wrong thing. They'll miss the shot because they are too busy looking at each others equipment.

Pay attention, learn lots, get the best shots. You have the right equipment, and by the sounds of it, the right attitude.

It shouldn't matter what equipment you have, from a lowly point an shoot right up to a D3x - repsect should be given until proven otherwise. I try and only give positive comments and encouragement where I can whenever I see someone taking a picture who is "chuffed" with the result. There's nothing worse than deflating someones pride in a passion.

It's a classroom, not a trade show.

I attended a photography class here in Phoenix recently, sponsored by Arizona Highways magazine. The class was very good, and I intend to keep taking the classes.

But....

I have a Nikon D300 (thus my membership here.....). Virtually all of the participants had Canons (except the instructor). Great. I don't really care. We had to go around the room and talk about what we hoped to learn, what we liked to shoot, show our camera, etc. I spoke for a few minutes...and then the first question came: "why did you buy a Nikon? Isn't that just for people who care more about brand names than the photos?" Then came another question. Then another. All assuming I had made some huge mistake, or have a massive character flaw, because I had the temerity to buy a Nikon.

I honestly don't recall having that much angst over my decision on which camera to buy. I was careful. I did my research. But I did not spend even 4 seconds thinking about what "message" my purchase would send to other camera buffs.

I really don't intend by this post to add anything to the "Nikon vs. Canon" debate. I really don't care what other people use. You want a Canon? Great, congrats. I'm happy for you. But, sheesh, I wish people would get off their high horses and let me enjoy my purchase too, without having to defend it or explain it.
You're a trend setter not a trend follower!

In this particular case, the grass is greener on our side of the fence. :biggrin:

Personally, I have no issues, I have encountered some light bantering from many which is taken with a grain of salt. The funniest moment was with my next door neighbor, an avowed iPhone user and Canon user. He took shots with his iPhone and then posted them with captions to his FaceBook account in under 2 mins. Nikon or Canon can't beat that!!

But this problem does occur in the Nikon space too. Shooting my daughter's dive meet last week with my gripped D300 with 24-70 f/2.8, I encountered a lady who was shooting with a smaller Nikon DSLR body which I thought was a D40. I asked her what she was using and she replied, D5000 with the kit 18-105 lens. I asked her if she used the Live View capability and she said she did. She then asked about my camera body then proceeded to tell me I should upgrade to the D5000 because the D300 is old technology.

I pretty sure the MB-D10 and L-plate would not fit on a D5000. I suppose I insulted her with the Live View question. :tongue:
Guess I shouldnt even bother with a D3 then....that's reallly old tech....:rolleyes:

Good rationale

Sounds like a great class, all concentrating onthe wrong thing. They'll miss the shot because they are too busy looking at each others equipment.

Pay attention, learn lots, get the best shots. You have the right equipment, and by the sounds of it, the right attitude.

It shouldn't matter what equipment you have, from a lowly point an shoot right up to a D3x - repsect should be given until proven otherwise. I try and only give positive comments and encouragement where I can whenever I see someone taking a picture who is "chuffed" with the result. There's nothing worse than deflating someones pride in a passion.

It's a classroom, not a trade show.
That 'class' sounds like a camera club I once belonged to. They too were more impressed with the equipment than the results! Not saying all clubs/classes are that shallow but when you run into one, run the other way and enjoy your pictures.

Don
:wink:

I have a Nikon D300 (thus my membership here.....). Virtually all of the participants had Canons (except the instructor).

....and then the first question came: "why did you buy a Nikon? Isn't that just for people who care more about brand names than the photos?" Then came another question. Then another. All assuming I had made some huge mistake, or have a massive character flaw, because I had the temerity to buy a Nikon.
Just curious to know, did they direct the same questions towards the instructor also and did instructor like the quote about Nikon only for people who care about brand names than photos

You could have just responded by saying "Why did you choose Canon"

He would have replied "because everyone else did"

Then you reply "Congrats on not having a mind of your own."

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom