enough testing! the 300 f4 for Rugby

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Paul Evans, Apr 23, 2007.

1. I have tested the 80-400VR, the 70-200VR + TC1.4 and finally the 300 F4 for Rugby....

I have decided that the 300 F4 works best.... However, at least 50% of my captures are still out of focus. Oh well... I will keep clicking away...

Here are a few from last weekend on a sunny, glorious day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Those are great!!

But I must ask--50% OOF, with the D2x and that sweet lens??? How can this be? What modes are you using?

Pat B

3. excellent !

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    These are so cool, what a manly sport to shoot. Keep them coming Paul.

5. Thanks all for your kind remarks...

Pat.. I was shooting Shutter speed priority, 640/sec, ISO200.

I just read acena's post where he states he shoots soccer auto ISO at 1/1250 sec. F5.6...

I think next time I will try 1000/sec, F5.6, auto ISO and see if the faster shutter speed helps.... of course, I hope it is a sunny day or 1000/sec will be a problem (I dislike shooting > ISO 400)...

I never though sports would be so challenging.... little did I know;-)

6. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Thanks Paul...

I shot a bunch of kids Saturday in very bright sunlight with my D200. I was also in "S" mode and I set it for 1/1000. I was using my 70-200VR, with VR off. I set the D200 to "group dynamic" and had it in AF-C mode. I was pleasantly surprised. I know that the kids I shot are not NEARLY as challenging as the fast adults you were shooting, but my keeper rate was VERY high. I posted the thread here today.
    Your shots are very good.
    Ann Arbor, eh? I work in A2 and live in Brighton.

7. Hey Pat...

Thanks for your feedback... I was shooting in "C" focus and the normal focus area mode. I think I have been shooting at too slow a shutter speed....

I live on Getty road between Canton and A2.... I work in Wixom... Sounds like we are traveling in opposite directions every workday.

Perhaps we will bump shoulders at some local photo op... like the Willow Run Airshow?

I need to get a Nikon Cafe tee shirt for sure.... never tell when you might bump into a fellow forum member....

8. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Strong work!