Entered my first images in camera club's competition!

I want to extend many thanks to all here at the Cafe who have helped me out so much!! I can not even begin to list whom, how and with what, that would be pages in and of itself.

Your comments/critiques on photos, guidance in PP and general encouragement have been wonderful. Thank you!!!

I joined a local camera club in March, and the atmosphere there is VERY similar to the one here: a vast array of experience, and those who are experienced are very willing to help out. Once a month they have in a guest judge from other clubs and have a competition. I entered two images last night.

I was very nervous about doing so, didn't even make the decision to actually do it until 10min before I went out the door. Grabbed two of my bald eagle shots from Feb. for entry into "Digital - Nature," class B (of course!).

In looking at what was chosen, I decided this judge was one (of whom I've seen few so far) that chose scenaries/landscapes over fin/fur/feather. I was actually really happy to see some of those landscapes earn 15's, as we have some VERY talented people in that club and landscapes often seem to get short-sticked.

The first image I entered was this juvenile in flight. This was take with the 70-300D hand-held, and was my first trip up to see the Eagles. He gave me some nice complements on exposure and capture. Biggest critique was that I should crop more off right side and bottom. I'll have to go back and look, but I believe this was already a fairly decent crop and I didn't want to cross over that line where things start looking bad.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Score: 12 (out of 15)

My second image was taken on the second trip up to see the Eagles. None were flying and it was a disappointing visit (especially having driven over an hour). On the way out, I spied this Eagle sitting in a tree in someone's yard. There was quite a crowd gathering under the tree, and I joined them.

He liked the diagonal line of the branch, the framing of the branch on the left, and the eye contact with "the maker." :smile: Again, said I could take a bit more off the right. I had worked to not center the Eagle in my cropping, thus the reason for that much dead space.

Score: 13 and 2nd place! :biggrin: (5 of us rec'd 13's and 2nd place, 1 person received a 14 and 1st place). I called my Dad on the way home (a D70 shooter and avid photographer) and told him I'm now "an award winning photographer." HAHAHAHAAAA!!!! :tongue: :biggrin:

View attachment 95030

I'm really looking forward to working on my skills this summer and trying to build up a portfolio of stuff to enter over the course of next year (competitions will start again in Sept).

I do not feel I earned these scores, but rather was coached to them by many of you here. Thank you!!! :smile:

You earned every point you got, and beautiful images:))
Congratulations
and keep up the wonderful work:>))

Hey congratulations, what a cool benchmark for you. I can only assume that it only gets better from here for you. Keep entering and keep us posted on how it goes. We are proud of you.:wink:

You earned every point you got, and beautiful images:))
Congratulations
and keep up the wonderful work:>))
Thank you Gale, you are most kind!! This really has inspired me to find "stuff" to shoot this summer in prep for the return of competitions in September! :smile:

Congrats Gretchen! I personally wouldn't change the crop on the second one at all. Great pics.
Thank you! I too like where it is, don't think I'd change it either. The first one, I agree with.

Way to go Gretchen! We expect better and better images from you.

Rich
I will work on it, promise!!! :smile:

Hey congratulations, what a cool benchmark for you. I can only assume that it only gets better from here for you. Keep entering and keep us posted on how it goes. We are proud of you.:wink:
I plan to!! My goal is to see if I can make myself eligible for the "A" classes. You have to have an average of "12" in scoring and have participated in X% of the competitions (in both Nature and Open). Hopefully this Summer brings lots of inspiration! :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom