Enterprising barber

During my visit to the city of Kolkatta, one morning I started exploring the streets to see the city life around that hour. I found this enterprising barber very seriously engaged in his trade right on the street. His saloon is very interesting with one customer waiting and reading the morning news paper provided by him.

DSCN0752_W.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Is that a mirror on the concrete pole for his customers to check out their new 'Do'? And he also has someone waiting for his turn.

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
This stuff is priceless! I'll bet he's one of the happiest fellows you'll meet... We all should be so lucky as to be able to drag some rusty chair out onto the sidewalk, tie a broken mirror to a light pole and make a living.

God bless him and you for bringing us this slice of life from a "backward" nation.

See the enterprise of the man Woody. Making the best out of what is available to him. India as a nation can no longer be called "backward". It is a young democracy with a fast developing economy. It has problems like poverty, illiteracy, homelessness etc., ilke any developing economy or a developed economy. When the current developed countries are still grappling with issues like poverty and homelessness even after two centuries, this young democracy can be expected to sort out these important basic isuues in the years to come balancing the economic growth and human development.

Yes I agree with you Duane but my priority was to catch him in his trade quickly. Had he looked into the camera the shot would have been spoiled.

Latest threads

Top Bottom