Environmental Portraits

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by acena, Aug 21, 2008.

1. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    While I spend most of my time taking photographs of athlete’s in action, I took the opportunity to focus on environmental portraits for the last several days by photographing people at work, home or at play. I even took a chance at a self portrait. Have to leave that comfort zone once in a while.

Anouk
    [​IMG]

America
    [​IMG]

Town & Country
    [​IMG]

Lifestyle
    [​IMG]

Anouk Par Deux
    [​IMG]

Self Portrait
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  2. A nice change I'm sure . I think #1 would look nicer if the white wall on the left was cropped out - the right hand side has more character .

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Nicely done.

I would have liked to see some extra light on the area behind the subject in #1.

In #2, having the light area directly behind the subject and touching his head distracts me a little. Perhaps a lower, wider perspective with a tad more light at the back of the building would also have helped the shot.

#3 - nice framing of the subject. I might have got a little closer, turning it into a 3/4 portrait.

#4 - good shot. There is a good opportunity to shoot a more dramatic image by lighting the subject and underexposing the BG a stop or two.

4. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks for looking. I tried it with more of the left cropped out but I think I prefer the green shutter there though I know what you mean about the character on the right.

5. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    You'll have to clarify #1 for me. Are you talking about lighting up the room behind the door? I actually wanter more separation so more emphasis on ther subject.

#2. I wish that were the case also. May have to burn that area a bit because I find the light behind the head quite distracting also. The original photo did include more above the flag, but I did not like it because all it was was the company sign so I cropped it out.

#3. I'll have to take a look at how the 3/4 looks since what you see is the entire frame and I shot it at full resolution with a 21MP camera. May look too much like the American Gothic as opposed to my own work. At the moment, I do wish her feet were a bit closer together.

#4. Yep a bit of fill flash would've done the trick. I did not have a flash with me as I wanted to do everything with one camera and one lens.

All of these were shot with a 35/1.4 mounted to a 1Ds 21MP camera. After the last several days, I am not actually considering purchasing either a medium or large format view camera as I now want to try printing on platinum paper straight from the negative.

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Yes - since it is an environmental portrait, I found myself wanting to see a bit more of the room detail.

7. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I wished you had not said that. Now that I look in there I can see the extension cord that I forgot to move. Aaaarghh

8. I like them all. Certainly out of the oridinary as you have given as much play to the environment as to the person. I would like to see them bigger. By the way, I think you are right about the green shutter in #1 as it creates tension with the lovely young lady.

9. Alex,
    great to see you stepping out of your comfort zone
    you've been given enough thoughts above

nice shot of you
    what BIKE is that, by the way?

10. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks Gordon! Give me a day or so and I will enlarge the photos. Here is one more. I did want to incorporate the subject's surroundings into the photo in order to tell a different story from let's say a head shot or even a 3/4 shot.

Alex

11. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Gary Fisher Sugar 1. That too is out of my comfort zone as I generally ride a road bike. Trek 5200