EOS M with 22mm f/2 for $300

Everything I've read says the af is almost unusable right now but if they implement the new AF technology from the EOS 70D in the next version it would be a real interesting camera. It will be interesting to get your take on the performance as you have the much faster M43 cams...

They just release a new firmware that is reported to improve focusing speed by a factor of 2 -3 times. Other than that, from the details I see in the reviews, I don't think the UI will be to hard to deal with - I seldom ever use the 'features' of a camera except to put it into 'A' mode and shoot - being able to of course change the aperture and adjust the EV is important. If the focusing speed is improved enough to be tolerable it might make a nice good quality point-n-shoot... I thought it was worth a gamble for the price.

They just release a new firmware that is reported to improve focusing speed by a factor of 2 -3 times. Other than that, from the details I see in the reviews, I don't think the UI will be to hard to deal with - I seldom ever use the 'features' of a camera except to put it into 'A' mode and shoot - being able to of course change the aperture and adjust the EV is important. If the focusing speed is improved enough to be tolerable it might make a nice good quality point-n-shoot... I thought it was worth a gamble for the price.

I agree with you. I'm pretty tempted at this price. I already have way too many cameras :biggrin: and have the Sony Nex 5N as my compact system, but this would be smaller and basically the same cost as a point and shoot, but with much better quality. Decisions, decisions...

Yea, it's not like I need another camera and, I have the E-PL5, and that with the 20mm makes a really nice package and based on one review I read might very well be comparable in quality. But, even though there's not much difference in FOV I like 35mm better than 40mm, and if Canon has improved enough it will have a place of honor in my laptop bag when I travel.

Curses. Just pulled the trigger and ordered one. I hope the Canon DPP program for RAW conversion is good as I don't have anything that is updated enough to open up Eos M RAW files. CS5 and LR 3 won't.

Nikon 3200 isn't much bigger has VF and all of glass you already have...

that would be true except for all of the glass I sold - I'm pretty much out of the Nikon club, and I don't want a conventional DSLR, and a lot of the Nikon glass I did have wouldn't meter or auto focus on an entry level DSLR.

Thanks for posting this link! I was in the market for a Nikon coolpix A or a Ricoh GR , but at $300 this Canon is a steal, it's just a tiny bit larger and lacks flash but I can live with that.

Thanks for posting this link! I was in the market for a Nikon coolpix A or a Ricoh GR , but at $300 this Canon is a steal, it's just a tiny bit larger and lacks flash but I can live with that.

you're welcome - with the hot shoe the lack of flash isn't a problem for me, neither of my u43 cameras have it.

I am keeping my eye on the M and 22mm lens, seems like if the AF has been improved as said, I can get this package for a great price....APS-C with a quality 35mm f/2 equivalent is ideal......

For those interested, on ebay via ChiefValue, you can get the individual lenses (22mm, or the 18-55) for a substantial discount. ($105 for the 22mm, $129 for the 18-55). Was hoping to not spend any more money, but picked up the 18-55 to complete the kit.:biggrin:

My mind was taken over by zombies and I ordered one. (from Unique, before I saw Jonathan's post).

There was just something about an APS sized sensor camera that's about the same size as a GX-1. That sensor doesn't get very high marks on DXO, but a EOS-M search on flickr returns some very impressive pictures.

If nothing else, I'm treating it as fixed focal length, "push-up" camera. A camera that forces me to think about how I can make interesting images with only a 35mm FOV. I've become too reliant on having a vast range of focal lengths with me most of the time, and then shooting a subject with every focal length from a fish-eye to 300mm to get different looks. I need more discipline so I don't break out in a cold sweat if I don't walk out of the house with an overweight camera bag.

Should be a fun toy.

Latest threads

Top Bottom