EOS R - First "Real" Project (Wedding Guest)

Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
3,553
Location
Tacoma, WA
Real Name
Ken St John
First real trip out with the new Canon R, and I have some mixed results. The event was a friend's, daughter's, wedding. The event was held on a cool, cloudy, windy day, at the Snoqualmie Ridge Golf Club east of Seattle.

These first three shots, are probably most indicative of my photo interests ... landscapes and "travel". Here's one of the holes on the golf course, and the mountains in the distance. And, yes, the bride insisted on the "outdoor" ceremony. Man was it cold!!
Snoqualmie Ridge Wedding-11.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Snoqualmie Ridge Wedding-191.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Snoqualmie Ridge Wedding-13.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Inside the reception. I was impressed with the noise at high ISO's (I didn't want to mess with a flash so shot only available light). The high ISO images reacted well to some NR in LR.
Snoqualmie Ridge Wedding-39.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Snoqualmie Ridge Wedding-43.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Some friends having fun on the dance floor.
Snoqualmie Ridge Wedding-157.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My wife and the happy couple.
Snoqualmie Ridge Wedding-233.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Speaking of my sweetie ...
Snoqualmie Ridge Wedding-23.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Snoqualmie Ridge Wedding-194.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Overall, I was very happy with the results, especially the available light images at the reception. I also tried a "new" setting for me that I have not used before ... a "compressed RAW" format. I normally just shoot JPEG and my files usually run around 6-10MB each. A "full" RAW image runs around 40MB each. With this "compressed RAW" format, the files seem to vary from 20-30MB each. Quite a bit of space saving, and I see very little evidence of "loss" in the files.

Biggest issue is most of the settings I am used to no longer have their own dedicated buttons, so I tried to setup some of the programmable buttons ... epic fail!! Either I need to do a better job, or practice a whole lot more, as many times I wanted to make a quick change only to end up opening the back LCD and hunting through the menu!! A real "OIE" - Operator Induced Error!!

I do have two weeks before we head out on a 14 day car trip to the southwest, so I can fix this problem!!

Cheers!!

Ken
 
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom