Epson 3880 Changing Black Ink Problem

I am going to be printing a number of photos on Breathing Color Crystalline Canvas. BC recommends printer settings of Media Type Canvas (choices I have are Exhibition Canvas Matte and Premium Canvas Matte) and the recommended black ink is Photo Black. When you select either of the canvas settings the printer automatically chooses Matte Black Ink. I followed the instructions in the manual to change to Photo Black Ink (page 101 in manual) but as soon as I hit the print button the printer starts changing back to matte black again. If I understand the manual correctly the ink should not change back until I change it after the change under maintenance. Am I missing something here?

Well I got a reply from Epson.

When selecting the media type in the driver that selects whether or not if you are printing on Matte or Photo. When selecting that those media types that are only used with Matte black not Photo and there is know way to get around that. If you need Photo black then you would need to select a Photo paper.

So the purpose of the info on changing black ink type is?

happened to me too. i wanted to use plain letter paper to print something and the printer shifted from the matt black ink i was working with to photo black even though i selected the type of ink i was working with.

next thing i know it wasted all that ink making the switch. they should remove that selection box but i guess they won't as it is good for ink sales.

I e-mailed back and asked - What then is the purpose and when would you change the black ink type as shown on page 101 of the manual?

Reply from Epson - Certain media types use certain black inks so the ink absorbs into the paper correctly. Below are the media type selections that use the certain black inks.

Photo Black (PK) – Any Photography media that has a Glossy or Luster finish.
Eg: Glossy, Luster, Semi-gloss, Exhibition Fiber, Exhibition Canvas Gloss, Exhibition Canvas Satin

Matte Black (MK) – Any Fine Art media or matte media that has a non shiny matte or flat finish.
Eg: Enhanced Matte, Canvas Matte, Presentation Paper Matte, Hot Press, Cold Press, Textured Fine Art.

Sooo, my question still is What then is the purpose and when would you change the black ink type as shown on page 101 of the manual? And add I guess especially in view that it doesn't work.

Haven't e-mailed back again.

I noticed they have a satin canvas but only for use with the 4880 and higher.

Breathing Color e-mailed back and said to use “Premium Photo Paper Semigloss.”

Marlene, I think this will resolve your questions.
For Crystalline, an obviously glossy or satin surface, I chose the 'semi-glossy' or the 'luster' media using photo BLK ink. I subsequently profiled both with my ColorMonkey achieving some minor improvement. My results were very fine, especially for B&W.
For Lyve and Chromata, my choice depended on the image content.

http://www.breathingcolor.com/000_p.../pdf/README_Print_Settings_NO_ICC_PROFILE.pdf

good luck irv weiner

i have not seen any paper type yet that allows you to pick the ink you want. it is governed only by the paper type you select not the check box they give you .. paper type overides any choice you wanted to make by the check box . .

it didn't ,that was my issue. i was set up for photo black and wanted to print a document in photoblack without wasting an ink changeover.

i selected plain paper , checked the box for photoblack and next thing i know it set up for matte black and wasted the ink anyway.

it didn't ,that was my issue. I was set up for photo black and wanted to print a document in photoblack without wasting an ink changeover.

I selected plain paper , checked the box for photoblack and next thing i know it set up for matte black and wasted the ink anyway.

hmmm?

I am going to be printing a number of photos on Breathing Color Crystalline Canvas. BC recommends printer settings of Media Type Canvas (choices I have are Exhibition Canvas Matte and Premium Canvas Matte) and the recommended black ink is Photo Black. When you select either of the canvas settings the printer automatically chooses Matte Black Ink. I followed the instructions in the manual to change to Photo Black Ink (page 101 in manual) but as soon as I hit the print button the printer starts changing back to matte black again. If I understand the manual correctly the ink should not change back until I change it after the change under maintenance. Am I missing something here?

I had a similar experience with an Epson 3800 the other day. Finally figured out that the problem was due to paper feed.

Feeding from top backside resulted in the ink switching on its own.

Feeding the paper in "manual-rear" (middle back slot) fixed the problem.

I hope that helps.

Latest threads

Top Bottom