Epson 7880 Printer

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by Loki_D_Wolf, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Just wanted to know if anyone has it? What are the pros and cons to you? I've read a lot of opinions and such. I've also read a ton of comments via google.

So if you have it or are thinking about getting it let me know what you think. It's on my list as #1 right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  2. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Bump :Teeth:

3. Tomm101

Tomm101

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    Haven't been here for a while, about Epson wide printers.
    The prints will be excellent, the inkset in the X880 Epsons is supposed to be incredible. The one flaw with wide Epsons is the black ink switch, costs $75 or so to go from gloss, luster etc to matte papers and the same back again. They solved this is the 60 inch 11880 but not in the "smaller" 24 and 44 inch models. New things are supposed to be happening at Photokina so if you are stuck on Epsons I'd wait. If you need a wide printer faster look at Canon or HP.
    Good luck

Tom

4. I'd look at the larger Designjets - save yourself a ton on ink changing and usage.

Sean

5. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

More Epson World?

Photokina?

Designjets?

6. Ha, sorry. HP's line of wide format printers are called the Designjets. Photokina is a big trade show held every other year where manufacturers announce new products/product lines. It's coming up in Sept. so you may see new models of printers.

7. I think I'd like to get a large format printer but I'm concerned about the availability of paper types. There are so many paper choices for flat bed printers that don't seem to be available in rolls.

8. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Printed

Ooohh. Thanks for the info!

9. The roll selection is getting better all the time, and I think that's being driven by the desire of people wanting to print panoramas. You can print on rolls of heavy, heavy paper and even woven canvas with some of these new printers, and the printers make their own profiles for each new paper you use, so it's pretty exciting.

Sean

10. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
  11. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Size does matter!

Thanks for the info billg71.

Good information to know. I'm starting an e-commerce for my photography and would rather print at home than run out and have someone else print it. So I've been looking at printers. Though an HP was suggested I have to admit I've been hooked on Epson. I currently have a Canon and it's nice but just doesn't print large enough. :frown:

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The HP z3100 is by all accounts a nice printer, but very expensive and better suited to gloss/semi-gloss papers. The reds in particular are weak on matte papers. The built-in profiling is nice if you don't already have a profiling solution though./

Epson is coming out with a new round of printers later this year that will address the black-swap problem in addition to adding more ink colors and optional profliling hardware. No word on pricing yet, but they're likely to be more expensive than the x880 series.

Canon's ipf series is also quite good.

13. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Patience is a virtue?

Well, I know that I'm looking at 24" on minimum for printing. I'm not buying now so I'm sure I can wait until all the new hardware comes about. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.