Epson P2000 in stock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Apr 5, 2005.

1. I just ordered a P2000 from Allen Camera in P.A. their number is
    888-547-2841 or 215-547-2841.

He said he had three more in stock if anyone is interested.

That was at noon on 4/5/05.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Can't wait for a report Scott!

That unit looks nice, although I will probably continue to use my Powerbook. I recently told my friend to check out the P2000, so I'll give her the number. Thanks!

3. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Allen is down to one right now.
    Yours has been shipped or is ready for pickup.

Birger

4. Now where is that darn D2x?

5. Impressions of P2000

What do you think of the P2000?

6. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    What is a P2000???????????????????

7. It is actually an Epson P2000. Here is a link to BH with a picture.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...mp;A=details&Q=&sku=355953&is=REG

If you shoot a D2x, you probably will want one at some point. It is currently regarded as the hosttest digital wallet and viewer around by many. They actually just released a new firmware that makes it compatable with the D2x and other large file DSLR camera files.

8. dkapp

dkapp

Mar 18, 2005
    San Francisco
    Does it support the Nikon NEF format?

Dave

9. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Epson firmware update on the P 2000 will handle NEF from the D2H and D2X.

Birger

10. From what I understand, it only displays the embedded JPEG from the NEFs, but I imagine that should be good enough since you probably won't be doing any PP on it. :D I believe you cannot zoom the embedded JPEG though, if that matters to you. You can find a relatively recent, short review of it on dpreview.com.

If you must have true support of RAW, you might want to check out the Giga Vu Pro instead. They claim to offer true support of RAW and display histogram, etc., and supposedly, are fairly active in providing firmware updates both for fixes and for improving feature set and format support. The Giga Vu LCD screen is not nearly as pretty though -- but is touchscreen -- and battery life seems shorter w/ battery extension/replacement not so convenient. A pitty that.

_Man_

11. billT

billT Guest

Hi Birger,

Does it support microdrives? Some brands I know will support the Type I and Type II CF but not the microdrives.

Thanks in advance

BillT

12. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Mine arrived this morning.
    A marvel of engineering and darn good appearance.
    Only 1 lb.

Two hints;
    If you are uploading from your computer to the P-2000,
    Do NOT try to upload a folder of files. It will not work.
    You must upload files.

On the firmware upgrade.
    Where the instruction says.
    Press and hold both the Power and the "OK button until you see the message below.

Well you can not press and hold the power button.
    The power switch is a three position slider, with the middle position as neutral.
    So push the switch down and then up to the hold position.
    take your finger off the switch.
    Now you're cooking.

Yes it does show NEF files.
    I uploaded a 18mg NEF D2X file.
    The P-2000 reads the embedded JPG file.
    Does not magnify.
    The exif data is not complete.
    For focus mode, it said "divided"

For a D2H nef file it gave better data.

In my simple opinion,
    The LCD on the Camera D2H and D2X with LCD sharpening set on high give a better and sharper picture.

Also the LCD on the Camera D2H and D2X has a much better magnifying
    setup.

36gb usable storage- Not bad.

More info at Dpreview.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

This P-2000 is a dandy.

Birger

13. I have only had this unit for one day since i got my D2x and first let me say it is fantastic in my opinion. Good battery life with relatively small battery, fantastic screen view, hard drive plenty big for me, for all the features it is relatively small, very simple UI,

On the negative side;
    large view screen seems a bit vulnerable and will no doubt scratch easily if not very careful, I am sure that as I write this some clever young entrpaneaur is designing a third party solution, firmeware is still in the early evolutionary stage, I can view thumbnails of NEF D2x files which can be blown up to full screen but they will not zoom and can not be viewed as a slide show yet. The included carry case is a bit chinsy for such a quality gadget, this to will have to be replaced eventually but is sufficient for now.

all the negatives are fixable and will be available sooner or later. I have a Digital Wallet and a Mindstor, (both of which I will now sell) and having moved up from them, I am extremely pleased with this storage/viewer.

I have a 30 watt Digital Camera Battery and I believe they are comeing out with a chord for it so power will never be a problem in the field.

14. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA