Epson printer dripping

While trying to print a B&W panorama recently taken at Yosemite:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I noticed some cyan dripping on the paper. This particular printer is an Epson stylus photo r1900. I've not noticed cyan being lost from the tank, but this pattern is somewhat puzzling:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As you can see, it started fairly well into the print job. On 13" wide pano paper, this is outside the range for letter stock even fed through "landscape" orientation. This dripping is on the far stroke opposite of the ink storage/maintenance/cleaning side of the printer. The only paper where this will show up is the 13" "Super B" size or the 13 x 38 panorama paper -- and I'm not practicing on that last paper!

Any thoughts or advice?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
How annoying. It doesn't look like smearing caused by non-flat paper.
I have a bad feeling that you will need a new print head, which is probably so expensive you need a new printer. Has it had heavy use?

Oh, maybe 100 13x19 and a few dozen 8x10s Not a lot by professional measurement, but decent for my level amateur.

Red River Paper does a lot of printing, so I asked them for advice and they say it's probably the start of print head death. Locally I could buy a used R1900 for 150.00 but probably don't want to go that route. What I REALLY want to do is get a non-epson printer with archival stability pigment inks.

I bought some cleaning fluid and a cleaning adaptor (allowing me to inject cleaner through the print head) and did an extremely deep cleaning -- 3 hours' worth!

Got every one of the color cartridge mounts perfectly clean from accumulated ink.
Got the "cap" area cleaned
Cleaned the wiper blade and all around that.
Cleaned the overspray pad under where the print head runs. On the far left the print head has been doing something like ******* in the bushes -- pileup of ink semi-dry and sticky.
About 40 Q-tips (both ends) and 7 or 8 cloth cleanroom wipers (12 x 12 ") cut in quarters wiping under the print head.
---- OH Forgot that I also did some of this for ~2 hours with Precisioncolors.com cleaning fluid a couple days before the Vermont Jet Piezoflush kit came in. --

This morning ran a print head pattern -- as good or better than it has given me since I opened the box.
Just finished printing a 13" x 38" super-pano print!

Beautiful print!!
I think I've been emboldened to buy a craigslist R1900 for 150.00, clean it up and store it for when this other one dies, keep on with the Precisioncolors.com inks I've been buying (several bottles on hand).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom