Epson R1800, help with profiles!

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by Perreault, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Perreault

Perreault

Nov 24, 2006
    Hi!

I just bought a Epson R1800. I am trying to print photos using the ICC profiles installed for Epson paper and I get only horrible results, see below. What am I doing wrong? Any help will be welcome.

I'm on photoshop CS3, mac, Apple Cinema Display 23 inches calibrated with Huey...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yves

2. These images don't tell me much by themselves though I can make some guesses. The first one looks like it could be double profiling. The second is better but looks likes a mismatch between your monitor (processing) and your printer. We need to know more.

What paper, specifically?
    What profile for that paper, specifically?
    How often do you calibrate with your Huey?
    Do you leave it attached to your system?
    Do you print with the Epson print utility or through Photoshop?

3. Perreault

Perreault

Nov 24, 2006
    Thank Mike!

Paper: Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy
    Profile: SPR1800 PrmGlsy Photo.icc for the first one and SPR1800 Premium Glossy for the second
    Monitor Calibrated every week, calibrated yesterday, Huey left connected
    Printing through photoshop cs3

I realised that this problem happens only when using the preview feature and printing from the preview. The preview on my screen is as bad as the print out. If I don't do a preview and print directly, the results are good???

Any Ideas?

Yves

4. A couple questions:

1. Did you select "Photoshop Manages Colors" in the Color Handling window of the Photoshop print dialog screen?

2. Did you select the ICM button in the Color Management panel in the Epson Printing Preferences Tab (advanced)?

3. If 2 = yes, did you click the "Off" button in the ICC/ICM sub-panel?

Like so:

[​IMG]

5. Yves, this is basically a summary of information I've gleaned from iliah here at the Cafe. I'm also running an Epson R1800 under Mac OSX and this works for me:
    First, you duplicate the image and convert the duplicate to 16-bit, then to Lab color space. At that softproofing dialogue you set the black point compensation, simulate ink black and paper white, and choose the rendering intent. You can switch between different intents to see which gives better initial approximation to the original image. After exiting from that dialogue you switch on the gamut warning, establish adjustment layers, and make any corrections needed to match the original image to the copy you are proofing. When you are done with that, you convert the image to printer profile using same intent as you used for softproofing, leave the image in 16-bit, and use "print with preview" with "no color management"

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    What color space are you sending to the printer? It needs to be sRGB, Adobe RGB has too wide a gamut for the R1800. Also, do a nozzle check, it looks more to me that either an ink is out or a nozzle clogged. Don't go by the status monitor, you need to print the nozzle check page. I'm assuming you double checked that the inks are in their correct locations. You'd be surprized how easy it is to mess that up.

7. tomb18

tomb18

Sep 28, 2007
    Montreal
    Uh, no. You can use adobe rgb. As a matter of fact I use pro photo which is a wider gamut than adobe. photoshop will do any translation between color spaces as needed. All you need to check is the soft proof and pick the appropriate rendering intent.

8. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
    Hi First thing to do is eliminate variables.
    Download a test image from pop photo or similar location. print it straight without photoshop and see how it looks with "Auto" settings on the epson driver. If it looks ok, then go back and add photoshop. select the profile and make sure that you turn off management in the epson driver. See how that looks, if ok then try one of your pics and compare input image to output image to see why "factory" print was ok and your print is not. continue down the path until all is well. if you want to be very thorough, go to John Paul Caponigro's site and follow his printing guides. He is an instructor for Epson.

dale