Epson R1800 New Drivers

New drivers have been posted on the Epson USA site for the R1800. No mention of the nature of the corrections. I'll be trying them over the weekend....unless someone already has.....

I'll definately have to give them a try, as I have been having the same issue!!! Thanks for the feedback!

What do you think of this printer? My old-and-moldy 1270 is having issues and I am considering the 1800 as the replacement.

P

papa85

When you download the files and unzip the file, does it over ride the previous setting automatically? :?: :?:
I downloaded the New Driver and the paper profiles and unzipped them all. What else do I have to do???? :?: :?: Help needed. Thanks

I'll check the new drivers out tonight if I have time. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Did they update the paper profiles too?

No, the paper profiles still have the April date.
Supposedly, the files self extract, I'll have to go back to the original install instructions to see if they auto-load.

My thoughts on the R1800? Well, maybe it's best if I wait until after I do the driver upgrade. It's not a bad printer, it's just taking me a while to get it dialed in the way I want. The pigment inks aren't as bold as the dye-based inks, so it doesn't seem to have the punch that my old 1200 does, but the color balance is pretty good right out of the box.

Baywing said:
No, the paper profiles still have the April date.
Supposedly, the files self extract, I'll have to go back to the original install instructions to see if they auto-load.

My thoughts on the R1800? Well, maybe it's best if I wait until after I do the driver upgrade. It's not a bad printer, it's just taking me a while to get it dialed in the way I want. The pigment inks aren't as bold as the dye-based inks, so it doesn't seem to have the punch that my old 1200 does, but the color balance is pretty good right out of the box.

I am not in any great rush, but I am pretty sure my 1270 is rapidly near the end of its useful life, and a darned good life it is had :lol:

I remember that it took a bit on the 1270 as well to get things the way I liked them, the new technology looks quite nice. I have not been convinced yet that the higher cost of the 2400 is worth it from the 1800 as I don't do B&W.

Thanks for the info, hope the new drivers get you going.

PGB

Nice, i had this problem of too dark prints last night on a black and white print. I could see the shadow in PSCS but not on the print. Don't know if this would be applicable but I'll try it.

I had a Canon i950 before and was quite happy with it until some months ago some banding showed up. Also, the sponges were completely soaked and contaminated the yellow ink cartidge. A new print head was so expensive that I took the opportunity to upgrade (especially since I didn't have to pay for it :lol: ).

To get the settings right requires a bit more tweaking than in the i950.
The new driver is selfextracting and automatically overwrites the old one.
The profiles are at least newer than the ones that came with the printer.

In the driver I disabled ICM and let Qimage apply the profile.

The colors of the prints don't have the vibrant punch of my i950, something I still have to get used to, on the other hand, they are much more neutral and resemble much closer what you see in PS. From what I have seen so far, the difference in colors is something like D1/2 series compared to the more vibrant colors a D70 produces.

I still have to make experiments to see if it is possible to achieve dye-ink similar results (if intended) with a few PS tricks.

Another issue I observed with pleasure is that if you print borderless, there is hardly any decline in quality towards the paper end. The transport mechanics seem to handle this better than my old Canon, where I had to use two "post-it"s to give the rollers something to get a grip.

Finally, the build quality appears to be more robust than the Canon printers. If this comparison is allowed (no bashing intended), it's like comparing the build quality of a D70 to a D350.

You can see that I am quite happy with this printer so far, but I still consider getting one of the cheaper Canon printers (A4) to have the possibility for vibrant prints (I also have more than 100 sheets of PPP left).

This weekend I will print a series of pics which I have also done with the Canon to get a side-by-side comparison.

Cheers

Latest threads

Top Bottom