Epson R1800 Opinions

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone here is using the new Epson R1800 and what your feelings are about the printer. My 1280 died and I would like to replace it with something better.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

mcampos said:
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone here is using the new Epson R1800 and what your feelings are about the printer. My 1280 died and I would like to replace it with something better.

I haven't used it, however I have been eying the 4000....

This definitely woke me up!

Looks great for the money....

There was an article in the recent Shutterbug which the author proclaims it created the best print he has ever seen in his like. My only fear is I seldom make prints and I am afraid of the pigmented inks clogging. i have an R300 which I absolutely love for smaller things.

GenoP

Thanks Geno,

I have a 2200 that does not clog as bad as the 1280 did, but it does clog once in a while. I think that is something that unless you print almost daily can not be avoided.

I am thinking of getting my 1280 fixed and dedicate it for B&W, the MIS inks got a good review in Shutterbug a couple of months ago.

BTW: I grew up in West New York, NJ and lived in Bergen County until last November. I ran away before the winter hit!

I had an R800 and liked it for its glossy prints and recently added the R1800 for its larger format. I can't compare to anything else but I love this printer.

Still waiting for my R1800 to show up. The local store claimed to be in the top 3 in the country to order. How long have they been out now......
I hear the newer drivers are better, set the Gamma to 2.2, saturate the yellow somewhat in PS, and print using the printer drivers and you're there!

It seems from reviews that the 1800 is great for glossy prints and has a nice large gamut due to the extra colors. 2200 still has the edge for matte prints, and can produce better B/W prints (especially with a RIP) because of the gray and light cyan/magenta cartridges.

The 2200 is due to be replaced soon with the 2400, which will apparently add a second shade of gray for even better B/W printing, but will still lack the gloss optimizer and require swapping out black cartridges to go to/from glossy/matte. (See latest Shutterbug magazine).

It's a shame no one printer can do both well. I guess there's the Canon but without archival inks I just can't make the plunge. Maybe the new BCI-7 inks will significantly improve print life on the 9910 but I'm skeptical...

mcampos said:
Hello,

I'm using the R1800 and I love it. I use epson premium luster and premium glossy. I profiled the printer using profile prism and my monitor with Greta Macbeth Eye one version 2. Results are 100% reliable and the quality can't be beat.

Tom

mcampos said:
Thanks Geno,

I grew up in West New York, NJ and lived in Bergen County until last November. I ran away before the winter hit!

I envy you.....I took a trip to LA with my kids, who are skateboard fanatics last year and we spent a lot of time in Venice and south by Encinitas. I would move to CA in a heartbeat if the timing was right.

GenoP

Geno,

>> I would move to CA in a heartbeat if the timing was right <<

Make sure you bring at least an extra $200K for a house. The cost of living here is astronomical compared to NJ. We moved here last November and were are having a hard time finding a house we can afford, but we had a lot of reasons for moving such as family, etc.

The weather is great and the photo opportunities abound.

Latest threads

Top Bottom