Epson R1800 Printer?

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by flygirl1, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Morning all. I have been thinking on moving up to a printer that will do 11x14's, but I cannot really do the new 3800, so was thinking about the 1800. Anybody having it for awhile have any opinions about it. Also, I heard it does not do matte well, any thoughts about that. I would be doing color most of the time. Has anyone done B&W with it?

Thanks all
    Nancy

2. I reckon it does matt very well, black an white not 100% but 95%, check out the 2400 which does b/w well.
    But I use an 1800 and am very satisfied....

3. Herm Wallace

Herm Wallace

Jan 28, 2006
    Cinti.
    Love my 1800.

Herm

4. Thanks all. Sounds like the R1800 will do for me.

Cheers
    Nancy

5. I have an R1800. It prints very well on Matte. If you want to do decent black and white you can use Quadtone rip.

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I mostly print color, the R1800 does just fine. I use Epson profiles and Epson paper and am very pleased, the luster and glossy are my favorites, want to try the new ultra gloss as I saw some prints Sat that were impressive.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    PC or MAC? I was talking with an Epson rep the other day and was told that the 1800 has a PC only utility program that is very good and not available for the 2400.

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nancy, the only paper that I print on is Brilliant Premium Luster paper from Calumet Photographic. The results are consistantly great. If you would like a sample, PM a mailing address and I will be glad to send an 8x10 for you to view.

9. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    Nancy-
    I agree with the answers given above. I have owned and used the 1800 for over two years and have been extremely satisfied. It is a wonderful printer for color work. I have recently started doing more black and white and it does lack a little vs. the 2400. I have used both for B/W and the 2400 does a better job. Also, I use a Mac. Be aware that with the Mac and the 1800 the roll paper option is not available. For some reason that is a PC only function. That is a little frustrating since I also am trying to do panoramas now and cannot print on roll paper.

Hope this helps.

10. How's that Ron, I thought roll would work on a Mac too, but haven't tried it????????:confused:

11. Thanks. All signs lead me to the 1800. Just waiting to see Eng45ine's examples.

Cheers to all
    Nancy

12. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal

funny, the paper i use 90% of the time with mine, Makes a great print. I just wish it handled canvas better, doable but a pain.

13. rlacy

rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    I think I must have had a brain lapse or I was thinking about the 960 I used to own. I have just re-read the Epson 1800 instruction manual and it does support the roll print option with a Mac. Sorry for the confusion. My bad.:Dizzy:

Geoff-thanks for calling me on that. Actually I went with a group to shoot downtown San Diego at night last night. I took some panoramas and was wondering how to get them printed--now I know.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

14. Nancy,

I have the 1800's little brother (R800), same technology. It has been a work horse for me and gives me lab quality prints at a very good price for the paper/ink. You will be very pleased with color prints. BW prints are not it's strong suit however. I never could get a greenish tint out of the final copy.

Best Wishes,

15. Daves43

Daves43 Guest

I've had this printer for a while now. I do most of my printing on Epson's Enhanced matte paper. The results are great in both color and B&W. Great printer for the money.

I hope this is helpful to you.

16. Ron, no worries, I get things wrong - too often !!!!!!
    I am finding the 1800 prints well from Lightroom, black and white as well.

17. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    If you don't need the A3 function pick up a cheap ($100 or less) HP 7960 as the black and white prints from this are stunning. I just got the r1800 and am very pleased with it (Thanks Geoff!) At A4 bordeless B+W, I still prefer the 7960 with the dedicated photo black cart.

18. Thanks all again for your opinions!:smile: This has been a very big help! But, today I was reading an article about the new Epson R1400 printer that uses the new claris inks. I have the R380 which uses those inks and the quality is stunning. So, I have to do a comparison on these two and then make my mind up.

cheers
    Nancy