Epson R1800 Printer?

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by flygirl1, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Morning all. I have been thinking on moving up to a printer that will do 11x14's, but I cannot really do the new 3800, so was thinking about the 1800. Anybody having it for awhile have any opinions about it. Also, I heard it does not do matte well, any thoughts about that. I would be doing color most of the time. Has anyone done B&W with it?

Thanks all
  2. I reckon it does matt very well, black an white not 100% but 95%, check out the 2400 which does b/w well.
    But I use an 1800 and am very satisfied....
  3. Herm Wallace

Herm Wallace

Jan 28, 2006
    Love my 1800.

4. Thanks all. Sounds like the R1800 will do for me.

5. I have an R1800. It prints very well on Matte. If you want to do decent black and white you can use Quadtone rip.
  6. Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I mostly print color, the R1800 does just fine. I use Epson profiles and Epson paper and am very pleased, the luster and glossy are my favorites, want to try the new ultra gloss as I saw some prints Sat that were impressive.
  7. davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    PC or MAC? I was talking with an Epson rep the other day and was told that the 1800 has a PC only utility program that is very good and not available for the 2400.
  8. eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nancy, the only paper that I print on is Brilliant Premium Luster paper from Calumet Photographic. The results are consistantly great. If you would like a sample, PM a mailing address and I will be glad to send an 8x10 for you to view.
  9. rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    I agree with the answers given above. I have owned and used the 1800 for over two years and have been extremely satisfied. It is a wonderful printer for color work. I have recently started doing more black and white and it does lack a little vs. the 2400. I have used both for B/W and the 2400 does a better job. Also, I use a Mac. Be aware that with the Mac and the 1800 the roll paper option is not available. For some reason that is a PC only function. That is a little frustrating since I also am trying to do panoramas now and cannot print on roll paper.

Hope this helps.
  10. How's that Ron, I thought roll would work on a Mac too, but haven't tried it????????:confused:
  11. Thanks. All signs lead me to the 1800. Just waiting to see Eng45ine's examples.

Cheers to all
  12. snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal

funny, the paper i use 90% of the time with mine, Makes a great print. I just wish it handled canvas better, doable but a pain.
  13. rlacy

Apr 22, 2007
    San Diego
    I think I must have had a brain lapse or I was thinking about the 960 I used to own. I have just re-read the Epson 1800 instruction manual and it does support the roll print option with a Mac. Sorry for the confusion. My bad.:Dizzy:

Geoff-thanks for calling me on that. Actually I went with a group to shoot downtown San Diego at night last night. I took some panoramas and was wondering how to get them printed--now I know.

Again, sorry for the confusion.
  14. Nancy,

I have the 1800's little brother (R800), same technology. It has been a work horse for me and gives me lab quality prints at a very good price for the paper/ink. You will be very pleased with color prints. BW prints are not it's strong suit however. I never could get a greenish tint out of the final copy.

Best Wishes,
  15. Daves43

Daves43 Guest

I've had this printer for a while now. I do most of my printing on Epson's Enhanced matte paper. The results are great in both color and B&W. Great printer for the money.

I hope this is helpful to you.
  16. Ron, no worries, I get things wrong - too often !!!!!!
    I am finding the 1800 prints well from Lightroom, black and white as well.
  17. lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    If you don't need the A3 function pick up a cheap ($100 or less) HP 7960 as the black and white prints from this are stunning. I just got the r1800 and am very pleased with it (Thanks Geoff!) At A4 bordeless B+W, I still prefer the 7960 with the dedicated photo black cart.
  18. Thanks all again for your opinions!:smile: This has been a very big help! But, today I was reading an article about the new Epson R1400 printer that uses the new claris inks. I have the R380 which uses those inks and the quality is stunning. So, I have to do a comparison on these two and then make my mind up.