Epson R1800 Printer?

Morning all. I have been thinking on moving up to a printer that will do 11x14's, but I cannot really do the new 3800, so was thinking about the 1800. Anybody having it for awhile have any opinions about it. Also, I heard it does not do matte well, any thoughts about that. I would be doing color most of the time. Has anyone done B&W with it?

Thanks all
Nancy

I reckon it does matt very well, black an white not 100% but 95%, check out the 2400 which does b/w well.
But I use an 1800 and am very satisfied....

I mostly print color, the R1800 does just fine. I use Epson profiles and Epson paper and am very pleased, the luster and glossy are my favorites, want to try the new ultra gloss as I saw some prints Sat that were impressive.

Nancy, the only paper that I print on is Brilliant Premium Luster paper from Calumet Photographic. The results are consistantly great. If you would like a sample, PM a mailing address and I will be glad to send an 8x10 for you to view.

Nancy-
I agree with the answers given above. I have owned and used the 1800 for over two years and have been extremely satisfied. It is a wonderful printer for color work. I have recently started doing more black and white and it does lack a little vs. the 2400. I have used both for B/W and the 2400 does a better job. Also, I use a Mac. Be aware that with the Mac and the 1800 the roll paper option is not available. For some reason that is a PC only function. That is a little frustrating since I also am trying to do panoramas now and cannot print on roll paper.

Hope this helps.

Nancy-
Be aware that with the Mac and the 1800 the roll paper option is not available. For some reason that is a PC only function. That is a little frustrating since I also am trying to do panoramas now and cannot print on roll paper.
How's that Ron, I thought roll would work on a Mac too, but haven't tried it????????:confused:

Nancy, the only paper that I print on is Brilliant Premium Luster paper from Calumet Photographic. The results are consistantly great. If you would like a sample, PM a mailing address and I will be glad to send an 8x10 for you to view.

funny, the paper i use 90% of the time with mine, Makes a great print. I just wish it handled canvas better, doable but a pain.

I think I must have had a brain lapse or I was thinking about the 960 I used to own. I have just re-read the Epson 1800 instruction manual and it does support the roll print option with a Mac. Sorry for the confusion. My bad.:Dizzy:

Geoff-thanks for calling me on that. Actually I went with a group to shoot downtown San Diego at night last night. I took some panoramas and was wondering how to get them printed--now I know.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Nancy,

I have the 1800's little brother (R800), same technology. It has been a work horse for me and gives me lab quality prints at a very good price for the paper/ink. You will be very pleased with color prints. BW prints are not it's strong suit however. I never could get a greenish tint out of the final copy.

Best Wishes,

D

Daves43

I've had this printer for a while now. I do most of my printing on Epson's Enhanced matte paper. The results are great in both color and B&W. Great printer for the money.

I hope this is helpful to you.

If you don't need the A3 function pick up a cheap ($100 or less) HP 7960 as the black and white prints from this are stunning. I just got the r1800 and am very pleased with it (Thanks Geoff!) At A4 bordeless B+W, I still prefer the 7960 with the dedicated photo black cart.

Thanks all again for your opinions!:smile: This has been a very big help! But, today I was reading an article about the new Epson R1400 printer that uses the new claris inks. I have the R380 which uses those inks and the quality is stunning. So, I have to do a comparison on these two and then make my mind up.

cheers
Nancy

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom