Epson Scanner 4490 ?????? about slides

I know this is not the best scanner, but so far it has worked OK. I am scanning slides. The scans are do not look near as good as the slides do.
I am using the pro mode. Any suggestions to improve the pics.

Also the slides have mildew damage,:frown:is there any thing I do about that.

I know this is not the best scanner, but so far it has worked OK. I am scanning slides. The scans are do not look near as good as the slides do.
I am using the pro mode. Any suggestions to improve the pics.

Also the slides have mildew damage,:frown:is there any thing I do about that.
I've had the best scanning results when I ditched the Epson and Silverfast apps and used VueScan. You might try some PEC-12 to clean the mildew off of the emulsion.

Sean

Thanks Sean, I have some contraband liquid Freon,might give that a try on a sacrificer slide, probably melt it.
I tried the VueScan sample, but could not find a transparency button, and all it wanted to do was scan my slide holder. the Epson does 4 slide at a time and 12 negatives. Quantity over quality, but I am sure you know how labor intensive this is.

For cleaning slides I use this stuff:http://www.donscamera.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DE-25330
I also remount the slides using these:http://www.adorama.com/SMDSR100.html
As soon as you apply a liquid to the cardboard slide mounts you will get little fibers portruding into the frame so remount them. Oh and use some latex or cloth gloves when handling the slides. Personally I use Epson's software to scan. Here's one I scanned before remounting - notice that crud on the sides?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks Sean, I have some contraband liquid Freon,might give that a try on a sacrificer slide, probably melt it.
I tried the VueScan sample, but could not find a transparency button, and all it wanted to do was scan my slide holder. the Epson does 4 slide at a time and 12 negatives. Quantity over quality, but I am sure you know how labor intensive this is.
LOL...I once tried their dslr sensor cleaner on a junk slide from the trash - it didn't melt it but it did streak the daylights out of it.

You can select transparency under the 'mode' dropdown menu on the input tab in Vuescan.

LOL...I once tried their dslr sensor cleaner on a junk slide from the trash - it didn't melt it but it did streak the daylights out of it.

You can select transparency under the 'mode' dropdown menu on the input tab in Vuescan.

Thanks Sean I found it, but still fighting with it, I will give it another try, emailed the tech.

Thanks Sean I found it, but still fighting with it, I will give it another try, emailed the tech.
IINM, Ed Hamrick is a one-man show writing and maintaining VueScan - I've never emailed in for support so I'm curious what you'll get back from him.

That being said, he comes out with something like 60 update versions per year, so it's definitely not a fly-by-night operation.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom