Epson SureColor P800

Real Name
Tunney Moriarty
I just purchased the above printer and having an extremely difficult time setting it up to print from LightRoom CC on a iMac running High Sierra. I had an Epson 3880 for years and it printed great but the head just went on it within the last 2 weeks so I thought I would upgrade to the P800. Setting up the layout like on my 3880 is giving me very poor results. Yes I am using Ilford Paper and do have the profile for it installed. Very very frustrating as I am a photographer and can print portraits that are 10 days behind to my customer. I am almost to the point of taking it back.. Could use some help please or direct contact to helpmeet solve this problem. I had a so called Expert from Epson come on line to look at my settings and he said they were right on. The faces of my subjects look dark, much darker than the shot. I also have my 27 inch iMac Monitor coloured profiled with x-rite. Hope some one here can help me..... tonight!!!~!!!!!

Tunney

Real Name
Walter Rowe
What candle setting do you use for white point in your color calibration? I use about 85 for white point to prevent prints from being too dark. Anything higher and you end up darkening your images in post, which makes them darker when printed.

I’m printing from a 4K iMac running macOS Mojave and Capture One Pro to an Epson SC P800 like you. I use Epson papers, inks and print profiles.

The P800 is a great printer and as already touched on here your issue most likely to be one of two.

If you are using the same Ilford profile that you used for the 3880 this is possibly wrong. Check for the specific P800 Ilford profile online. If you believe profile correct then try another paper profile combination.

I would strongly suggest using a known data source for test printing first such as
http://www.pixl.dk/download/

Without knowing your ambient light conditions during editing and your print viewing lighting it is not possible to give figures for brightness/luminosity settings. Monitor figures may fall between 80 - 150 cd/m2, lowest figure represents a dark environment with higher figures for brighter conditions - I use 110 cd/m2 as an average printing in daytime conditions (your figure will be different). The correct setting is one where you achieve a print to screen match

Equally important is the light for viewing the prints.
How are the prints illuminated when comparing to screen ?
Are the prints really too dark - what do they look like when you go into another room, view outside or view under the exact conditions that they will be under?

Real Name
Tunney Moriarty
What candle setting do you use for white point in your color calibration? I use about 85 for white point to prevent prints from being too dark. Anything higher and you end up darkening your images in post, which makes them darker when printed.

I’m printing from a 4K iMac running macOS Mojave and Capture One Pro to an Epson SC P800 like you. I use Epson papers, inks and print profiles.
Thanks for your help. I am taking the printer back to the dealer this morning g as he is going to try and print on it. I use 120 for a white point as suggested by the program. I am also getting a new iMac - 27 inch next week which will be running Catalina. Just waiting for it to arrive. I am transferring everything over from my 2011 27 inch iMac to the new one next week ( should be the 17th Dec) will be done at the Apple Store here in Waterloo, Ontario- . A senior Rep from Epson came on my computer yesterday and said the settings I am using are correct for LightRoom Classic. I am at my wits end here!!!!! Not only is the color bad but there are areas of the print that have been missed printing by the printer and which vary from Print to print. These appear to be scratches made by the printer. I will wait until I get my new 27 inch iMac on the 17 Dec. I have had Epson Printers for years and never had anything like this. My last 3880 printed like a dream but the head went on it and had to retire (recycled) a week ago. I will keep trying and report back, especially by the end of the day as I will then know what results the dealer got printing with it.

Thanks,,,

Tunney

Not a lot of posts on printing/printers. Hopefully the dealer can demo print your files to confirm the issue.

Good luck on getting this sorted out. Printing is a "black art". Sounds like there is an issue with the printer from your second post. When I upgraded from an HP 9180 to P600 last summer, I had to download all new profiles as well as adjust my calibration several times. My issue was bronzing with the Epson vs HP on glossy paper so I am using luster primarily.

I'm sure the dealer will get you sorted out, but here are a couple of things to check. You can not use profiles for the 3800 on the P800. I tried this when I first got mine a few years ago, when there were not a lot of paper profiles out for the P800 at the time. It did not work out. If you don't have a specific Ilford profile for that specific paper, use the epson P800 profile that most closely resembles the paper you are printing on (glossy, luster, etc). Chose the profile in PS or in LR, not in the printer driver.

Also, make sure when you print that you check to ensure that Printer manages colors is set to off (none) in the printer driver when you print. Do not have the printer driver set to ICM or to Srgb or to your paper profile. The profile should be managed by PS or by LR, not the printer driver. I find that my P800 often defaults to having the printer manage colors, and I must check it and set it to off almost everytime I start a print session, despite having saved it before.

I hope you get things worked out, as the P800 is an awesome printer; I really enjoy mine.

120 is not too high for natural ambient light of a certain level. The correct level is that which achieves a screen to print match - some professionals use values over 150 cd/m2.

We do not know what editing conditions the OP works under. Neither do we know how he is illuminating the print to make a judgement on brightness levels. Working in a dark environment 80 may be the correct figure on the other hand working in a lighter daylight environment may require much higher i.e. over 110. There is also the danger of losing detail in shadows with poor/cheap monitor at low levels such as 80’s.

Although the questions asked by some were not answered new information provided by the OP suggests the problem runs deeper than just monitor luminence.

Poor colour, random missing areas where ink should be, scratches on paper suggest a myriad of potential problems:
Wrong or hosed profile - colour accuracy
Nozzle blockage - missing ink in areas
Incorrect platen height - scratches on paper.

Under the circumstances and assuming a new rather than used printer the OP has taken the logical action of getting the dealer to check the printer

Real Name
Tunney Moriarty
Thanks everyone for all your help. I finally got the printer to print correctly and it did a fantastic job. My old 27 inch iMac (mid 2011) is being replaced Monday with a new 27 inch iMac with 32 Gig of Ram and the best internal configuration that Apple has to offer. I am having everything transferred from this iMac to the new one on Tuesday. Very much looking forward to it. Again thanks for everyone's help and interest. And finally one more thing to all...... A Very Merry Christmas To All with Peace. Prosperity and Good Health in 2020. I will report back here when I get both the new 27 inch iMac and Epson P800 firing on all cylinders. Again, Thanks....

Tunney

Real Name
Tunney Moriarty
That is very good news, and good luck with the new iMac.
But please tell us what you did that made the printer work well for you.
Well first of all I had the Ilford paper loaded from the top and it should have been loaded from the front as it had a weight of 315 g. As a result the platen gap was wrong. That caused a problem with the marks on the paper and printing correctly. I had a session with two ladies with their daughter and the prints came out absolutely beautiful. Each of these ladies was just over 100 years old and you would never know their age looking at them They also live alone in their own home - by themselves. Incredible!!! I took the original photo from LightRoom CC into Photoshop and applied a very slight smoothing of their skin but still retained the skin texture. Scott Kelby showed me how to do it and it works fantastic. The one lady started crying when she saw it so I guess she liked it. I will try and get their permission to put their photos on here so you can view them too. My present 27 inch iMac just told me it needs an update profile but I will wait until next week when I get my new one. Saying that I use i1Studio to profile my units and although the program has a white point setting goal of 120, even if you can't get that white point exactly, the program will adjust the profile setting for you to 120 automatically, or very close thereto.

Tunney

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom