Epson V500 or 600

AFAIK the v600 being a newer model than the v500 is slightly better specified. It appears that scan speed has been improved and I think that there is a marginal increase in resolving power.

Be aware that the manufacturers quoted of 6400ppi while technically correct does not equate to the power to resolve detail at this level. Common with most flatbeds the actual resolving power is much less than this at around 1500-1600ppi. So there is really no point in scanning negatives above 2400-3200ppi - you will get the pixels and a bigger file but will not resolve more detail going higher.
http://www.filmscanner.info/en/EpsonPerfectionV600Photo.html

The V700 or v750 offer an improvement in resolving power capable of approx 2300spi. The only way to achieve higher resolution figures is to use a dedicated film scanners such as the Nikon range which get very close to their stated 4000spi - sadly no longer available other than used at exhorbitant prices :eek:

Vuescan software is very good but the supplied Epson software is excellent and may be all you need (I have both and actually prefer the UI in particular the histogram display). The best software although more expensive is probably still Silverfast

AFAIK the v600 being a newer model than the v500 is slightly better specified. It appears that scan speed has been improved and I think that there is a marginal increase in resolving power.

Be aware that the manufacturers quoted of 6400ppi while technically correct does not equate to the power to resolve detail at this level. Common with most flatbeds the actual resolving power is much less than this at around 1500-1600ppi. So there is really no point in scanning negatives above 2400-3200ppi - you will get the pixels and a bigger file but will not resolve more detail going higher.
http://www.filmscanner.info/en/EpsonPerfectionV600Photo.html

The V700 or v750 offer an improvement in resolving power capable of approx 2300spi. The only way to achieve higher resolution figures is to use a dedicated film scanners such as the Nikon range which get very close to their stated 4000spi - sadly no longer available other than used at exhorbitant prices :eek:

Vuescan software is very good but the supplied Epson software is excellent and may be all you need (I have both and actually prefer the UI in particular the histogram display). The best software although more expensive is probably still Silverfast

I have a V500. I agree with everything stated by Tony. I will add that I use both the Epson scan software and Vuescan. In addition to the V500 I have an old HP all-in-one that no longer has supported drivers for the scanner. Vuescan to the rescue.

I strongly agree with Tony's appraisal of the usefulness of the Epson scan UI. I find the levels adjustment extremely useful in obtaining the best possible scan from valuable old photos. Rule number 1 in photo restoration is the better the starting point the better the end result.

Thanks guys. I would love to rent a Nikon 9000 because the only MF negatives I have are from my wedding. Once I am done with those, I will have no further need to scan MF. But I cannot find one to rent anywhere. My friend has a Nikon film scanner for 35mm so I don't really need that either. Hmmm...sounds like I am talking myself out of a film scanner here. What to do? What to do?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks guys. I would love to rent a Nikon 9000 because the only MF negatives I have are from my wedding. Once I am done with those, I will have no further need to scan MF. But I cannot find one to rent anywhere. My friend has a Nikon film scanner for 35mm so I don't really need that either. Hmmm...sounds like I am talking myself out of a film scanner here. What to do? What to do?

How many MF negatives do you need to scan? When I did my big scanning project a few years back I used a Nikon LS5000ED film scanner for the vast number of 35mm slides and negatives.

But I also had some larger negatives. So I built a lightbox with a flash inside and set up a copying stand with an SLR and Nikon 60mm micro lens and photographed the negatives one at a time. One can get quite fast at it. The quality of the results was excellent, both b/w and colour.

As Richard said a DSLR with ideally a macro lens a source of light and a shoebox with a cutout for the frame size and you are in business :biggrin:

Aslidecopybox.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You can make it as simple or as fancy as you want
http://www.feelingnegative.com/digitaldarkside/a-collection-of-diy-film-scanners

Probably 40 or so. I should probably just send them out for a high quality drum scan and quit fussing about it. They are from my wedding after all and after 22 years I guess we are in it for the long haul :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom