1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Equestrian photos

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Hockey_Nut, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I just learned that I will be able to provide my photographic services at a local equestrian show this weekend (hunters & jumpers). I'm pretty excited as I've never worked on spec before and I've never shot this kind of event. Some of my students are into horse jumping and they suggested I call some of the local farms to see if I could go & shoot. I went out last week to meet the owners & organizers of the upcoming event & took some shots of their riding school & then was invited back to shoot some competitors as they went through a lesson. I'm going to use these photos this weekend as a display for my work & hopefully I'll get some sales.

Here are a couple from the other night. Never done this before & think I did ok. Might have to shoot a bit looser in order to get the standards & bars in the frame during the jumps.

Any suggestions from those who have done this sport before would be much appreciated.

equestrianmagazinekelsey11x14.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

jessieposterblackpproof.jpg

kelseyposterwhitepproof.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Take care,
    Brent

2. Position yourself so you get both "faces" in the shot as the riders head is generally on the inside of the turn looking towards the next fence. Be prepared for dust too, lots of it.

3. Hi Brooks,

Thanks for looking & for the tip. I'm going to have to find out which direction the riders will be going around the circuit and then find a suitable position. I was chewing dust the other night ... did not like that.

Take care,
    Brent

4. I just remembered, be careful with your F stop, you will be surprised how much distance there is between noses(horse and human).

5. Thanks Brooks

Hey Brooks,

Thanks for this reminder. I shot the above photos at f4 and f5.6 and plan to do so again tomorrow.

Take care,
    Brent

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.