Equifax hack: anyone considering a credit freeze?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Sep 12, 2017.

1. My wife and I are considering freezing our credit reports so no one could open new accounts in our names. Has anyone else here looked into that?

2. Since we are not planning on buying a new home for at least a year, nor a new car for at least another 3-4, more than likely. I have no need for new credit cards or increasing my limits. We're discussing.

3. My only reservation is the hassle and expense involved. As I understand it, you need to do it for each person with each credit agency, which means at least six applications at $5-$10 each. Of course that's a lot cheaper than having someone open an account in your name, but it's also a lot of trouble.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Can we assume equifax has our info even if we never gave it to them

5. Yup :cool:

6. They're one of the three big credit reporting companies (Experian and Trans Union being the others) - and they *all* have our info - complete credit history, socials, DL numbers, current and previous addresses, the whole 9 yards. That's what makes this so disturbing all around.

7. crazy

crazy

Feb 5, 2009
    NC
    It goes far beyond what you plan for credit purchases, as identity theft has made many peoples' lives a hellish situation for years. Even children have exposure to identity theft since they have social security numbers.

I froze my Transunion, Experian and Equifax accounts this morning. As I understand it, where you live determines whether or not there is a cost. Living in NC, there is no fee.

8. JW53

JW53

Jan 21, 2006
    Johns Creek, Ga
    We checked and were not on the equfax list of compromised accounts, but went ahead and put a credit freeze anyway. In the long run the hassle and expense of putting on the freeze would be a lot less if your identity gets hacked.

9. Were you able to do it online?

10. crazy

crazy

Feb 5, 2009
    NC
    Yes, for Transunion and Experian. For Equifax, it was over the phone.

11. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Have you considered changing your identity instead? That would mean it would no longer be a problem if your old one was stolen. Perhaps in the future we will all change our identities every year.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Does freezing the 3 credit agencies prevent identity fraud or just make it less likely ?

13. What it means is that if anyone tries to set up a credit card or other credit account in your name they will not be able to.

For each agency you will need to set up a PIN which would be needed if you ever want to "unfreeze" the account to apply for something yourself. If you lose that PIN you're up the creek.

Also, it is theoretically possible, though unlikely, that that PIN could be hacked, but it's a 10-digit number which makes it very hard and probably not worth the computer time required.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  14. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

So the next time they get hacked the hackers will get all the 10 digit PINs...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thx Jim
    I have some work to do when I get home

Who would ever trust equifax again and where is the federal government at in helping. Imagine 100m Americans with stolen identity, what a disaster

16. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    I guess that's one advantage I have. Credit cards will not accept PO addresses, and the only physical address I can give is a milepost along a highway, or a lat/long. They will not accept either as an address, but since I live in a remote location, that is all I can give them. I'd enjoy seeing my past and present addresses on any agency's records. For the past 35 years, I've lived in remote locations, without any road/street address. I've never borrowed money. I own two houses, and paid cash for both. Same with cars and airplanes (I've owned two airplanes, but am planeless now). Cash deals only. They may have some data on me, but it would be pretty slim.

17. Do you want to adopt me? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Seems like you would have to have a credit card for travel, and that requires a credit history.

19. He might be crazy for living there but he's not that crazy:)

20. Dog sleds take cash