Equine Swarming

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mindspan, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Today I went out to see if I could capture some deer with the D200 -- but alas, they were camera shy. So, I ventured into a farmer's field who was raising Clydesdales and other large workhorses to see if I could take some equine shots. I figured it would be a snap (pun intended) as I had a bunch of carrots with me.

Well I learned a little lesson: some horses can get quite aggressive in a herd. Soon I was surrounded and being jostled by these huge horses who were all too willing to take a bite out of whatever seemed handy and might potentially be tasty, including me and my camera. So, I had to retreat!

I decided to lure one of the colts to my new position and took this shot. He was a lot more friendly than his companions and as a result got the bulk of my carrots :smile:

28-70 @ f4
    [​IMG]

2. Funny story! This photo reminds me of the horse I had growing up! Same white star on the forehead! Though it's nice and I like it, I would love to see this one in color, please. For some reason I can't explain, when it comes to animals, I just prefer color.

3. that is a great shot. Horses can be tricky so be careful!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well that sure is a pretty one

5. Thanks Dianne! The horse was black and his star was white, so to me it seemed a natural for this treatment. To me, he looks much nicer this way than he did in colour :smile:

6. I'd say so -- I have never experienced this among horses before and I am used to the these animals, having ridden extensively growing up. These ones were clearly aware that they were way bigger than me and weren't shy about demonstrating that fact.