1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Equipment Question: Umbrella / Light Mount

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by paradiddle, Jul 12, 2007.

1. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    This might be a stupid / meaningless question.

I just got a Smith Victor - UM-4 Umbrella Light Mount.

My question is which side goes up? Here is how I have it mounted.

I have the side with the umbrella shaft hole on top. In my mind this allows me to angle the complete umbrella the vertical direction I want. The problem is the flash (sb-600) doesn't appear to point into the center of the umbrella.

The other option: Mount so that the umbrella hole under the swivel. Now the umbrella slightly angles up. I can use the large swivel to point the flash directly into the center of the umbrella. I can move the light stand up and down but don't have the flexibility of angling the umbrella.

It probably doesn't matter - but I am anal.

2. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    yes you have it right. I dont think the flash has to be in the center of the umbrella.

3. You have it right, when you adjust the angle, both the speedlight AND the umbrella should tilt together as a unit. But realize that there is a "front" and a "back" to the hole you're using, or at least that's the way my umbrella mount works. It's angled a bit relative to the speedlight mount. If you insert the umbrella shaft correctly it will nearly center the umbrella in front of the speedlight, depending on the height of your speedlight and length of the shaft of course. Do it the wrong way, and your speedlight will be aiming at the edge of the umbrella.

Perhaps this is obvious and I'm wasting my (and your) time, but it's a thought.:biggrin:

4. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Bob - Time not wasted. I appreciate your help. I think the picture I saw did it the other way. That just didn't make sense to me. I did understand the difference / angle of the hole.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.