Equipment to take

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F15Todd, May 15, 2005.

1. Take the D70 with 17-35mm 28-70mm 70-200mm TC-17E SB-800

100.0%
  2. Take the D70 with 18-70mm 70-200mm TC-17E SB-800

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Take the D2h with 17-35mm 28-70mm 70-200mm TC-17E SB-800

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Take the D2h with 18-70mm 70-200mm TC-17E SB-800

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I need your help. Every time I think I have my mind made up I start to second guess myself. The movers are coming soon and I need to decide what camera equipment to have them ship and what stuff to take with me. I need camera equipment to cover a month of shooting during the move (spending time in Virgina and Indiana) before going to Idaho. I will be in Idaho for about 2 days before we go and spend the 4th of July weekend in Yellowstone.

So from the options in the poll what do you think is best, or some other option. D1x/F5/N90s 24-120mm/50mm

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Don't you just hate it when the vote gets split 50-50 so you may have to have another poll?

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. All you really need is the camera, the Beast, and the flash.

But I don't see how you could possibly leave the 70-200VR behind... and the 17-35 will be so nice for scapes. And for casual outings, the 18-70 will be so convenient...

Take it all!

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Todd :

Ship camera equipment ? With movers ? Across the Atlantic ?

I guess I'm missing something in this. I would never give over lenses or bodies for shippers to handle anymore than I'll check them when I fly. Too much opportunity for mischief or theft or just plain clumsy damage.

And movers' insurance is typically not replacement value unless you pay a hefty overage for that. And even then, they try to mess with you for any payments at all. I know - I've moved back and forth from Europe as well as around North America.

And you're not talking about a large number of "extra" lenses to bring with you here. If you had Bjørn Rørslett's set of gear, well that would be another issue. Even the extra bodies could be accommodated with some care...

... but if you have to make some decisions on shipping, I'd pick the lowest cost bodies and lenses to ship, probably bringing both digital bodies in my carry-on. Your spouse could be carrying one body and lens while you carry another perhaps.

For field work, well, that's a different discussion.

John P.

6. Good luck on your move Todd. I have entered my choice in your poll.

7. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Well I'm not to worried, all the camera stuff will be double insured. First through work and with my own policy.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Todd,

Good luck with the upcoming move: I would keep the prized posessions with me and pack the rest. So, in this case, I voted for D2H + 17-35 + 28-70 + 70-200

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Now that's a crazy poll Todd!

I voted for the lightest kit you can stand. The one thing in a chaotic move you don't need is to wonder where something has disappeared to. (Then again, your moves may not be chaotic - that would be mine... :oops: )

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I WOULD TAKE EVERY BIT OF CAMERA EQUIP I HAD.

WHY HASSLE WITH INSURANCE. WORK IS GOV.

I WON'T GO THERE.

Thats my story and I'm stickin to it !!!

12. I'm with the majority: do NOT give over expensive camera equipment to movers. Things go 'missing'. You'd have a hassle with insurance. I'd keep my babies VERY close to my side. So what if it's a bit of a bulky nuisance - beats the alternative.

13. Don't give up the good stuff. Take the best you can. And if you're gonna take the good lenses, might as well take the good camera. Both bodies wouldn't be a bad idea either. And that 50mm you mention, just take it. Its barely big enough to be noticed.

14. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Whaaaaat the heY? Are you CRAZY???

I refuse to vote in this poll. I have like 3x as much equipment as you, and if I were to move, it would be the one thing I take with me. I could do with fewer clothes ;)

I guess it all depends on how much you love your equipment, uh?

Look at it this way, after lifting 500lb dressers and cabinets all day, what would you do with a few light boxes with "fragile" written on it? I've seen movers chuck them around like baseballs, and I have to admit, even knowing what's in the boxes, I handle them pretty rough myself at the end of the day when moving myself.

Get a couple of Pelican cases (they are well padded and virtually indestructable, pack up your equipment and put it on the plane with you.

15. The best travel combination for me has been:
    D2X, 18mm, 28-70 AF-S, 70-200 VR, AB800, battery and charger and filters.

Enjoy, Bill

16. IxLr8

IxLr8 Guest

I never take any serious equipment when i'm in a rush. It just leads to disaster and I won't be in the frame of mind to shoot well anyway... That's just me.

17. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I'd take both bodies, the 18-70, 70-200, TC and the flash.

18. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Okay underwear and socks are not that important, I'm taking it all.

Well almost all, the D1x and F5 and some other small stuff like old SB-28 and lenses that never see the light of day will go with the movers.