1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

er...I have a question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by chewbecca, Aug 20, 2008.

1. I feel like I should know this, but I don't.

Do the D300 and the D60 have the same sensor?
    I know they're the same size, but they're not the same, are they?
    Or are they the same with different processors?

Thanks!

2. The D60 is a 10mp camera, the D300 is 12mp so they are not the same. I believe the D60 may share essentially the same sensor with the D200 and D80.

Others may be able to provide more details....
    Regards,
    PG

3. Thanks!
    I feel like, duh, I should know this information, but I did a search to try and find out, and all it gave me were comparisons of the D300's sensor to other brand cameras (like Sony).

When I inquired about it from a friend who is a D300 owner, she pointed out that the D60 sensor is: CCD 15.8 x 23.6mm
    The D300 sensor is: CMOS 15.8 x 23.6mm
    Same size, different type.

But I know someone else who is insistent that they are the same sensors, just different processors.

Since I know nothing about this, I'd love to find out.

4. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Apart from the D3/D700 FX sensor, I don't think Nikon have ever reused a sensor in a different camera line i.e. D40/D60 etc.

5. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
  6. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    also if you go to the Nikon Usa site and look under the specs for each camera you will see the sensor type listed

7. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    also...the D3, D700 and D300 are the ones with the CMOS sensor, the others are CCD

8. Thank you!

I should've known I could count on you, Lisa, to point me to an article!
    It didn't even occur to me to google the sensors themselves.
    D'oh!

9. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    it is funny though that is says that the CCS has less noise, yet the D300 is a camera that is better at noise???

10. This is from the article you linked to:
    So it said the ccd was better at that? *not finished reading entire article yet*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.