Erin and Monroe

Real Name
Chris
My niece brought her brand-new puppy to dinner with Mom last Sunday:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I know about the fingernail, and the depth of focus problem. But please critique this picture for exposure, lighting, content, style, composition, retouhing, editing and most importantly, color. Thanks.

The background is great, but it seems to me you needed to back the flash off quite a bit. Not only did you fry your
niece, losing all detail in her skin... you also ended up with blue eye for the puppy.

Real Name
Chris
Thank you guys! I'm gonna look at this from my PC with LCD at work, because on my Mac CRT it doesn't look blown out anywhere - but that is something I worry about when I shoot so bright that it's close to the limen.

Heh - frank, 'blue-eye' your right, but this is the first time 've heard of this. Isn't it supposed to be 'red eye'?

Chris101 said:
Heh - frank, 'blue-eye' your right, but this is the first time 've heard of this. Isn't it supposed to be 'red eye'?
Red eye is caused by light reflecting off the receptors in the back of the eye. Dogs and cats have different densities/spacing
of their receptors than people do, so their version of red eye is a different hue.

Real Name
Chris
I've looked at this on several monitors now, and I can see texture all the way back to her ear. The red channel does blow out a bit there - and her skin becomes mottled - but I think that's my process more than the exposure.

I appreciate your comments, and, although I intended to place her very high on the brightness scale, I do need to pay attention to the behavior of the colors in those high tones.

I want to do a mother-daughter shot with her and her mother shot next. It'll be a real shocker.

Frank, I'm watching what you do with portraits, cause you do make people look good. Your style follows reality more than mine though.

To you three who liked it - Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! Gordon, it is me, huh. Bryan, what's cuter than a puppy (Erin), and Joe, that's exactly what it is.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom