Error code fEE won't go away on D300 - need help

Hopefully someone here can help me. I have a Nikon D300 that shows the error code fEE whenever I have a lens with an aperture ring on it. The aperture rings are set to f22 (smallest aperture) and are locked in place.

The camera functions fine with my "g" type lens, a Nikon 24-70 f2.8. It shows the error code for my Nikon 80-200 f2.8 D and my 50 f1.8 D.

I have cleaned the contacts. I have removed the battery, waited, and then replaced it. I have switched batteries, to try a different one. I have checked the settings for "Custom Settings f7, customize command dials, adjust aperture" in the camera menu.

I have swore at it and threatened it (didn't work but made me feel better).

I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions? Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Fred

wiggle the A ring and see if you can get it to go away, sometime rebooting the camera with the lens on helps too

Thanks - tried that too. wiggled it, then unlocked and turned it, relocked it. no change.

My fEE error required a $170 trip to Nikon.

Ouch - I hope that won't be necessary, but I've got that sinking feeling. Did they tell you what was wrong?

Fred

Around the bayonet mount is a small ring with a tab that sticks out and connects with the aperture ring on the lens, this should move around in a circular motion as you turn the aperture ring on the lens. Check that this moves by using your fingers without a lens attached. It sounds like it may have a bit of grit in it preventing movement.

Try what Geoff said, I had had the same problem, sort of, mine though it happened with every lens I had. I sent it back under warranty and it had said that that was part of the problem.

Around the bayonet mount is a small ring with a tab that sticks out and connects with the aperture ring on the lens, this should move around in a circular motion as you turn the aperture ring on the lens. Check that this moves by using your fingers without a lens attached. It sounds like it may have a bit of grit in it preventing movement.

If you used an old manual lens on it, it's likely you snapped off the little tab that is being referred to in the post above. I did that last year without realizing it, and it's not a cheap repair. If you do a search for my post (my computer is really slow tonight or I'd do it for you) about the same issue, someone posted a photo of the tab in question. If yours is snapped off, you'll see a little rough spot about 1/16 inch wide and 1/4 inch long on the ring, where it used to be.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
If you used an old manual lens on it, it's likely you snapped off the little tab that is being referred to in the post above. I did that last year without realizing it, and it's not a cheap repair. If you do a search for my post (my computer is really slow tonight or I'd do it for you) about the same issue, someone posted a photo of the tab in question. If yours is snapped off, you'll see a little rough spot about 1/16 inch wide and 1/4 inch long on the ring, where it used to be.

It was me, and here is the photo of the tab as it should look:

D300%20tab%20on%20lens%20mount.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My thanks to all who have responded so far.

Geoff - the tab is still there, moves freely, and I watched that my 50 f1.8 does indeed engage the tab when mounted.

Michelle - yes, the tab is still there. I almost wish it wasn't, because then at least I'd know what is wrong.

Growltiger - thanks so much for the picture. I'd have been looking inside the lens mount without it. I really appreciate it. Also, yes I cleaned the contacts inside the camera as well.

I also tried leaving the battery out of the camera overnight. Just rechecked it and still no change. I still have the FEE error.

Any other ideas?

Again, thanks to all who have responded.

Fred

Check the movement of the lens release button. Sometimes this sticks and this cause the error.
Check that the lenses are clicking into place with an audible "CLICK."
Clean the camera-again!

Click your heels together, turn around, throw some salt over your right shoulder, say "Om" loudly 3 times, have a shot of whiskey, yell at the cat, smile at the wife. . . . .

This thread actually led me to do some reading around, and to be honest it sounds as if the camera is in need of a service.

Fact - the G type lenses function without problem. This would indicate that this is not a CPU contact problem

Fact - the two non G type AF lenses that you've tried produce an error which is consistent with these lenses not set the smallest aperture size.

Fact - the metering lever tab is still present and moving to the required position required when mounting non G type AF and AF-D lenses.

Conclusion - the metering lever tab mechanism has become mechanically decoupled from the main camera body, or whatever sensor that's used to detect the position of the metering lever tab has failed.

As you've tried the usual remedial actions then I have my doubts that it can be anything that's easily solved by prodding around in the camera.

Sorry if this a pretty dry technical assesment, but fault finding and trouble shooting is what I do as a day job. Unfortunately it very much sounds like your camera is in need of a bit of TLC from Nikon. :frown:

Check the movement of the lens release button. Sometimes this sticks and this cause the error.
Check that the lenses are clicking into place with an audible "CLICK."
Clean the camera-again!

Click your heels together, turn around, throw some salt over your right shoulder, say "Om" loudly 3 times, have a shot of whiskey, yell at the cat, smile at the wife. . . . .

Nick - thanks for answering. The lens release seems fine. I hear it click into place when I put the lens on, and can feel it locking. I have cleaned everything several times...

I don't have a cat, but can yell at the dog if that is a suitable substitute?

Still have the FEE error. I just looked up the address and details on APS for camera repair. At this point, I guess I'll try the local camera shop guru when they open Monday, and if he can't help, I'll look at shipping it off. :frown:

This thread actually led me to do some reading around, and to be honest it sounds as if the camera is in need of a service.

Fact - the G type lenses function without problem. This would indicate that this is not a CPU contact problem

Fact - the two non G type AF lenses that you've tried produce an error which is consistent with these lenses not set the smallest aperture size.

Fact - the metering lever tab is still present and moving to the required position required when mounting non G type AF and AF-D lenses.

Conclusion - the metering lever tab mechanism has become mechanically decoupled from the main camera body, or whatever sensor that's used to detect the position of the metering lever tab has failed.

As you've tried the usual remedial actions then I have my doubts that it can be anything that's easily solved by prodding around in the camera.

Sorry if this a pretty dry technical assesment, but fault finding and trouble shooting is what I do as a day job. Unfortunately it very much sounds like your camera is in need of a bit of TLC from Nikon. :frown:

Yes - I've pretty much arrived at the same conclusion. The camera is well out of warranty, so I'll just have to ante up. I'll either send it to Nikon or to APS. I've heard that APS is faster and provides better customer service, but have no personal experience with them.

Thanks for the answer and analysis.

Fred

I had a similar problem with my D2Hs while on a trip. AF-S lenses worked fine, but AF-D lenses produced this error. Problem solved after I cleaned the contacts in the body. Apparently the two lens types mate with different body contacts.

Sorry to hear about you troubles Fred. If it's any comfort to you, I had APS repair a flash for me once and couldn't have been more satisfied (unless the repair was free).

Interesting. With my D300, any time a lens with an aperture ring goes on it and isn't set to the smallest aperture, I get that error. I would have just assumed stopping down all the way would fix your problem :confused:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom