Error message on PC?

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Bill N, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Bill N

Bill N Guest

For the last week or so every time I use a web short cut from my desktop I get an error message. The web page still loads. The below error message ends up below the web page window. Trying to think of what might have changed on my laptop to cause this. Thanks for any help you can pass my way. Bill

<<Red X>> Windows can not find 'http://www.nikoncafe.com' Make sure you have typed in the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, then click search.

2. Try recreating the shortcut, that would probably be the quickest fix

3. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Thanks, Fred. I tried as you suggested, get the same error message. I noticed now that this only seems to happen with shortcuts made to Foxfire browser websites. I don't get the error message with IE shortcuts. Maybe I will have to do some looking in Foxfire and see if the problem is there. Thanks again, Bill

4. Bill,

1. Open Windows Explorer (or My Computer).
    2. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types
    3. Select Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol"
    4. Click "Advanced". In the "Edit File Type" window, select "open" and click "Edit"
    5. Uncheck "Use DDE" (the dialog should then hide the lower part)
    6. Click OK for that dialog and the next one (afterwards the DDE message box will be cleared, as shown here)
    7. Repeat for Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy" (and any other protocols you want to fix)
    8. Repeat for Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "Firefox URL"
    9. Repeat for Extension: "HTM" (or "HTML") File Type: "Firefox Document"

5. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Thanks Jay!! It worked like a charm.

Two follow up questions if I might? After I did this I double checked the DDE message box and it was still checked. Is this normal? Also, I have been using FF for about 2 years, why would this happen? MS updates?

Thanks again, it sure is nice not to have the error messages pop up every time I launch from the desktop now! Bill

6. Bill,

Glad it worked ! As you know FF is releasing updates from time to time. I would assume this is related to FF more then anything.

Good luck !

7. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Well, you nailed it on the head, Jay. Received another update from FoxFire and got the error message after that. Just followed above instructions again and it fixed the problem.
    Thanks again, Bill

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jay
    You are an ACE

9. Bill N

Bill N Guest

The part that really cracks me up, Gale, is that I am following Jay's instructions and my wife asked me what I was doing. My reply, I don't know, Jay on Nikon Cafe wrote these instructions out to fix the problem. I don't have a clue as to what I am doing other than following what I was told! Take care, Bill