ES-2 digitizer

Ordered late Thursday afternoon from B&H and Fed EX delivered to Chicago burb Saturday afternoon.

I have collected some Nikon F2 cameras in very nice user condition plus silver and black prisms and two of the AS meter heads. These have SBC cells and are better than older Cds ones.

I wanted to scan some negs and struggled with a copy stand and lights , one side glass neg carrier from an enlarger and trying to get them in alignment . D800e did work and I got nice scans, but a pain.

The ES 2 digitizer is a pleasure. Clip on the front of lens. put the neg or slide in appropriate carrier and expose. Flash TTL or A mode work well.
Focus is extremely critical and you need a sharp neg.

The scans are 240 pixels per inch and D800e makes a print 24x36.

The scans are way better than my Minolta 5400 for which my software no longer works. New is expensive and more difficult and if the old scanner breaks, it can not be serviced and I am out hundreds for scanner specific software.

I advise buying if you have a good digital camera and 60 2.8 Micro or are willing to purchase. DX will not copy entire frame.

Last edited:
I am using an ES-1 with either D750 or, more recently, Z6 and 60mm f2.8 with FTZ adaptor.

I have a large number of 35mm slides to scan (no negs) and with the Z6 and a constant lighting source it is possible to see the end result before the shutter is activated. I have found that using Flat or Neutral PC helps.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DG

Last edited:
I'm reviving tis thread as my wife has asked about digitizing some more of our old slides.

What's the difference between ES-2 and ES-1?

I see that the ES-2 works with both the FX 60 micro and the DX 40 micro. I have only the 40 but I could use it on my D7200, D5500, or Z50.

Hi Jim
I would be happy to discuss my experience with the ES-2. I used the 60mm fx on my D850 primarily as well as a few on the Z6. All my scans were 35mm negatives. Getting the film square in the holder and then flat can be challenging but since you will be shooting slides that won’t be a problem. Definitely get a constant LED light for backlight and tethering to LR is helpful and saves time.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/half-dome-scans-circa-1985.322265/

examples from my attempts.
best

I just got an ES-1. It seems to work well with my 40mm DX micro on my Z50, or my old 55mm f/3.5 AI + extension tube on my Z6.
Correction. To get focus with the 55/3.5 micro, I have to extend the slide copier barrel to the point that I get a bit of the slide border into the picture. I may decide to use only the 40/2.8 micro on my Z50.

Hi Jim
I would be happy to discuss my experience with the ES-2. I used the 60mm fx on my D850 primarily as well as a few on the Z6. All my scans were 35mm negatives. Getting the film square in the holder and then flat can be challenging but since you will be shooting slides that won’t be a problem. Definitely get a constant LED light for backlight and tethering to LR is helpful and saves time.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/half-dome-scans-circa-1985.322265/

examples from my attempts.
best

I just got the ES-2 and have been experimenting with it using my D4 body and an old 28-105 macro. I recognize that this is not the recommended lens for this setup, but since I already owned it, etc.
The 28-105 focuses with no problem, but the slide only fills about 40% of the frame. I don't mind purchasing another lens, but if I'm going to get the same results, it's not worth it. Here's an example of what I'm getting. Any thoughts before I pull the trigger on a Micro-Nikkor?

I just got the ES-2 and have been experimenting with it using my D4 body and an old 28-105 macro. I recognize that this is not the recommended lens for this setup, but since I already owned it, etc.
The 28-105 focuses with no problem, but the slide only fills about 40% of the frame. I don't mind purchasing another lens, but if I'm going to get the same results, it's not worth it. Here's an example of what I'm getting. Any thoughts before I pull the trigger on a Micro-Nikkor?
A lot depends on the quality of the slide you are photographing. Since we have gotten so spoiled by the crisp, detailed images we get with our digital cameras the quality of old 35-mm slides is always a disappointment. What I'm seeing in your result looks typical, except that with a true 1:1 micro lens you'll be able to fill the frame. As I said above, I'm using the Nikon 40mm f/2.8 DX micro on a Z50. On a full-frame camera like your D4 you'll need at least the 60mm micro.

Real Name
Walter Rowe

View attachment 1670460
You said you are using the 28-105. Can you zoom in on the slide to fill the frame? Surely this isn't at 105mm?

You said you are using the 28-105. Can you zoom in on the slide to fill the frame? Surely this isn't at 105mm?
That's actually 92mm. (It just happened to be set to that 'cuz I was zooming in and out to test whether it would make a difference.)

The problem is that it won't focus that close. You have to have a 1:1 macro lens to fill the frame with a slide.
Do I need to get the 60mm Micro, or can I achieve the same with a standard 50mm and extension tubes?

Notes on the ES-1:

It was specifically designed for copying slides with the 55mm f2.8 Micro with extension tubes (for 1:1).

To use the ES-1 with the 60mm f2.8, a BR-5 adaptor is required because of the difference in filter thread size, 62mm vs 52mm. No extension tube required for 1:1.

See my setup above.

DG

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom