1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

ES-2 digitizer

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Ronald M, Jul 13, 2019 at 9:05 PM.

1. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    Ordered late Thursday afternoon from B&H and Fed EX delivered to Chicago burb Saturday afternoon.

I have collected some Nikon F2 cameras in very nice user condition plus silver and black prisms and two of the AS meter heads. These have SBC cells and are better than older Cds ones.

I wanted to scan some negs and struggled with a copy stand and lights , one side glass neg carrier from an enlarger and trying to get them in alignment . D800e did work and I got nice scans, but a pain.

The ES 2 digitizer is a pleasure. Clip on the front of lens. put the neg or slide in appropriate carrier and expose. Flash TTL or A mode work well.
    Focus is extremely critical and you need a sharp neg.

The scans are 240 pixels per inch and D800e makes a print 24x36.

The scans are way better than my Minolta 5400 for which my software no longer works. New is expensive and more difficult and if the old scanner breaks, it can not be serviced and I am out hundreds for scanner specific software.

I advise buying if you have a good digital camera and 60 2.8 Micro or are willing to purchase. DX will not copy entire frame.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 9:28 PM
  2. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    I am using an ES-1 with either D750 or, more recently, Z6 and 60mm f2.8 with FTZ adaptor.

I have a large number of 35mm slides to scan (no negs) and with the Z6 and a constant lighting source it is possible to see the end result before the shutter is activated. I have found that using Flat or Neutral PC helps.

750_3956-1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DG

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 8:19 AM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.