Estuary Pond

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by beaucamera, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Here's my first experiment using the "art history" brush, an inspiration from Diane and Mike and a touch of painting with light from Ray.

:smile: Comments and suggestions, please! :smile:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

2. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Virginia

Nice one.

I tried for two minutes last night using AHB but it seemed to run away or put too much on.

How did you maintain the detail please?

Thanks Ray

3. Gee, Ray, I thought I lost a lot of detail and maybe went too far. Did somebody here say to try and use a small brush size? I used lots of different sizes and then went back over the image several times. You can also sharpen the image (or do a curves adjustment) if you want to pull up more detail.

I wish Diane would share more of her secrets!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Virginia, I saw in an earlier thread that you have finals coming up - whatcha doing playing???:Shocked: :wink: :biggrin:

You've made the big first step to get started - you should have seen MY first attempt! One of the many hints I received from real artists was to simplify the scene and yours may be an example of that theory. My critics kept telling me that the final result shouldn't look like a photograph. So, one of the first plug-ins I purchased was Buzz Simplify although Dave Jasseck has a simplify action over at atcentral that basically does the same thing for free. Also, if you're following the tutorial that I posted earlier, notice where he said to lift the mouse, rather that holding it down to paint. It could be the size you posted your example but it's coming across blurred on my screen rather than "painted". The resolution you start with is key to the end result as well - I think at least 180 is the magic number. The important thing is you've begun the journey - and as I've said, still learning myself.

5. Nice Virginia....:biggrin: keep playing with it..:wink:

6. Thanks, Diane

I see now where I made my first mistake. I used 300 dpi not 180. I also didn't lift my mouse (actually pen) all the time. I noted that blurriness too and wondered what to do. Perhaps that is how I created the blurriness. Thanks for the tip about simplifying the scene. What does that plugin actually do? Any advice about what texture to select and how that may effect your result?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. :frown: Yea, I better buck down and work on that final I've got coming up!

7. Everything seems blurry to me. Perhaps using a small brush would help?

8. What does that plugin actually do? Any advice about what texture to select and how that may effect your result?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

The plug-in reduces the detail - you can adjust to your liking. And texture isn't always a necessity either - sometimes it looks better without texture and it depends on whether you are going to display on the web or if you are going to print the finished product. Also depends on the subject. It's really a try this and try that until you find something YOU like! Experiment and play. One of the most helpful books I found when I got started with this so-called retouching was "50 Fast Digital Photo Techniques" by Gregory Georges. Check it out - comes with a CD full of samples that you can work with along with the book.

9. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

It's a nice scene. Good composition and colors. My impression also is it seems blurry to me. Maybe where different colors and sections meet there could be more definition or sharpness....just a thought, don't know if that would work or is even possible....

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Virginia,
    I share your frustration.
    Might be the worng image to do this on. From what I have seen done, usually it has a larger subject. That might be the clue here. Not sure, cause I sure don't know how to do it.

check Mikes new tutorial.

PS.... I am going to go back thru cd's and put a bunch of flowers up for all to play with. Painted thier yours.

11. Thanks everyone for you input and suggestions. Eventually I'll try another version and post it for you to see. Got to finish my Flash project first!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

12. Looks like this technique might work better on much simpler images, because AHB adds complexity. I tried this technique and need considerably more practice.