Ethics about replacing the sky in your photos?

How will anyone know a photo is real?

I can't tell you how many times I've been told by photographers on this and other websites that the way I lit a particular tabletop scene made the objects appear unreal. My typical response is that if you had ever seen them lit as I lit them, you would know they look that way. The corollary is that if you've never seen them lit as I lit them, how do you know how they should look when lit that way?

I can't tell you how many times I've been told by photographers on this and other websites that the way I lit a particular tabletop scene made the objects appear unreal. My typical response is that if you had ever seen them lit as I lit them, you would know they look that way. The corollary is that if you've never seen them lit as I lit them, how do you know how they should look when lit that way?
Coming soon, "Adobe—Replace your hot chocolate/wine/fish/octopus/cake/crab cake/and other foods" :rolleyes:

Even when all aspects of a composite photo were captured by me using my camera and post-processed by me using software I licensed, some people say it's not photography. I really don't get that.
That's not what I am alluding to.
Making a composite with your own work, fine by me, even if the images were made at different times. Removing minor elements, OK by me.

Adding elements (sky, animals, people, trees, houses, cars, etc.) from a universal library of someone else's work—not photography as I want to know it. You are free to call it what you want.

Taking a picture, badly exposed and composed on Auto-everything mode, and them correcting for exposure, color, white balance, focus, long-exposure blur, bokeh etc, and/or replacing the sky with an external sky, adding reflection and elements that did not exist at any time in your original work, sliming down a human figure, changing skin color, et., etc., is not the work of a skilled photographer—but of a software tech.

Taking a picture, badly exposed and composed on Auto-everything mode, and them correcting for exposure, color, white balance, focus, long-exposure blur, bokeh etc, and/or replacing the sky with an external sky, adding reflection and elements that did not exist at any time in your original work, sliming down a human figure, changing skin color, et., etc., is not the work of a skilled photographer—but of a software tech.
All the great photos we see here and other places have been manipulated in that exact way and through software. Not sure any photographer has skills capable of producing what we call: beautiful/perfect or excellent photos with in-camera settings alone. I guess the fundamental difference is that some see photography as an evolving art form and others do not.
https://digitalapplejuice.com/review-art-photography-approach/

All the great photos we see here and other places have been manipulated in that exact way and through software. Not sure any photographer has skills capable of producing what we call: beautiful/perfect or excellent photos with in-camera settings alone. I guess the fundamental difference is that some see photography as an evolving art form and others do not.
https://digitalapplejuice.com/review-art-photography-approach/
ALL? Really? Proof?

Do you care what anyone else thinks of your work if you're pleased with it?

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Gentlemen...
The other problem is that you don't know how the camera and lens software influences the data file.

And all in all it's - art.

Klaus

I apologize for not adding this earlier, but Mike is probably the most consistently careful and honest artist here—he notes early in his many posts who took the picture, who processed it and how, and what if anything was added/removed in post processing. I have no problem, and every admiration with that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom