Europe 2008: Part 5 (Sardegna) + info regarding my trip *Many Images*

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by RockACello, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Leaving for Sardegna during sunset from the port town of Civitavecchia located 30 min north of Rome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arriving in Sardegna during sunrise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunset from our house in Sardegna:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sardinian grappa locally known as "filuferru" which in Italian literally means metal because the Sardinians would hide the liquor underground attached to a long metal wire so that they could find it again. They would hide it to avoid the taxation that was usually imposed on these kinds of spirits.

[​IMG]

Aboard my uncles boat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some yachts that were parked along the bay as we were coming into one of the many small bays scattered along the coast of the island:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my uncles boat once we were in port:

[​IMG]

the following photos are from our day trip to Tharros which was a small outpost town of the Romans that had originally been built by the Phoenicians:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the beach we headed towards after the visiting the ruins:

[​IMG]

to give you an idea of how clear the water was:

[​IMG]

this is in the small town of Baso 45min north of Tharros:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and that should be the last of it! haha Thanks to those who spent the time looking through the whole Europe series, I greatly appreciate it.

Some background info on the trip:

My trip started July 8th with: two of my friends, my sister, her two friends, my brother, and my mom. We began in London stayed there for a few days, took the chunnel to Paris where we picked up a Renault Scenic and spent another 5 days wandering around the city. From there we left my brother and mother and made our way off to Amsterdam. (my brother and mother made a trip to Corsica where they met up with one of my mom's colleagues and we met up with them later on) From Amsterdam we made our way down into bavaria where we made a stop in Nurburg to see the Nurburgring (thread with those pictures here: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=184268 ) as my friends and I are a bunch of gear heads. Then we headed off to Prague, followed by Venice, Florence, and then Terni where one of houses is at. There we met up with my brother, my mother, and my father who flew in a few days before our arrival. Terni is a town in the Italian central region of Umbria that is known for its steel works and its patron saint, San Valentino. (think Valentine's day) This town is where my dad was born and where many of my relatives reside, so we come here almost every year. From Terni we went to Sardegna where we spent the rest of our trip at our second house where we meet up with a lot of my other Italian relatives who go to vacation there. And that was pretty much my euro trip in a nutshell. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I hope you all enjoyed the pictures.

-Marcello

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. I have enjoyed your photos very much, Marcello; you have showed me parts of Europe I haven't seen before.

As a point of information, your pictures all look very dark and underexposed, but perhaps that is what you prefer.

3. Thank you. I agree in regards to the underexposure, for some reason whenever I upload my pictures into Lightroom they get darker and I always have to bring up the exposure when I edit them. For some of the pictures I like them a bit underexposed but for others I do wish they weren't.

4. Have you checked the histogram after any of your shots? I downloaded one of your pictures and opened it in Photoshop. The histogram is shifted far to the left.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Added in edit: I originally said far to the right. That was incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  5. You're right. I'm going to go back and edit a few of them and repost them.

6. Marcello,
    another very nice series of images
    i really appreciate the background information on your trip....
    and that you took us ALONG with you

thank you

7. I LOVE SARDENGA!!! I had the honor and privilage to live in La Maddalena for 4 years and it was great. I had some of the best time of my life in and around Olbia, Sassari, Tempio, Nuoro, and Cagliari. It is a gorgeous island and area in general. I dig your shots because they bring back so many good memories of my times there. Thanks for sharing your trip to Sardenga with us.

God Bless,
    David

8. Thanks David. Thats awesome that you go to live there, that whole part of Sardegna is amazing. Did you ever go to Santa Teresa di Gallura at all? We have a house in that area in the Baia S. Reparata right off the road that heads toward Capo Testa. We frequent Sardegna a lot, especially now since my parents got that house, but this was the first time we ventured off to other parts of the island. There is still a lot of Sardegna that I still need to see.

PS: do you know why they closed down the base there?

9. beautiful. thank you for posting those

10. Yes, I have been to Santa Teresa many times. In fact I have a scar on my knee from the rocks at the beach there at the base of the hill. That was a fun day.

As for the base closer, well that is a bit complicated. It has to do with money (the owner was asking way too much for the service we were getting) and that some of the area politicians wanted the US Navy as well. The base was a leased property. The owner died while I was stationed there and the sons and grandsons wanted to change the compound into a hotel complex. I think they got their wish. I plan to return in a few years to see what all has changed.

God Bless,
    David

11. Nice serie Marcelo i do like the sunset fotos very much.

12. Thanks for taking us along on your trip, Marcello.

13. Marcello, thankyou for posting these. My father is from Cagliari, so it was fantastic to see some of Sardegna. It is a long way from Australia!

14. Your welcome guys. Thank you for the awesome comments!

Mark: That's cool that your dad is from Cagliari, I still have yet to have visited there but hopefully next summer we will be adventurous enough to make the journey from our house up north in Santa Teresa. I really want to see Cagliari as I hear it is a beautiful city.

15. Cagliari is very beautiful. It is a decent sized city but has a small town feel. I had been there a few time for soccer games and to party some. I was last there to see a soccer game around April 2006. The folks there are very passionate about the game. The Cagliari side played Juventus but lost in stoppage time 2-1. It was a great time. I really look forward to those shots as well.

God Bless,
    David