European style ruins in Beijing - B&W

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by JustinD, May 22, 2005.

1. Recently desaturated the color version and came up with this. Comments appreciated!

CopyofYuanMingYuanBlackandWhite.

2. Justin, where on earth did you find these in Beijing? Actually European is a very "naive" generalization, since Europe didn't exist in 700-300 BC... It looks like Ionic or Doric architectural rythm from ancient Greece with some Roman elements of sculpturing!

3. Panos - Yuan Ming Yuan is the Chinese name of the location. It was a villa built by European Jesuits in the early Qing dynasty. French and British troops burned it down during some military skirmish...could have been the first opium war...but don't quote me on that.

4. Zulu-

Zulu- Guest

I really like tha B/W version...

I would also like to see the color version..

I have been i Beijing some years back but I cant remember I have seen this place but then again Beijing is a very big city

Thanks for sharing..

5. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Cool shot. It was probably was destroyed during the Boxer Rebellion. I'm a history student so here's a low down :0....I'm bored so bear with me ;).....

In the early 1900's (date I don't remember) A lot of Beijing history was damaged or destroyed by Western troops (eight countries including Britain and America) during this time the Forbidden City and area was heavily damaged by international troops. What started as a protection force against rebels (to protect diplomats) turned into an intentional military force that destroyed the capital and turned upon the Chinese Imperial Army in order to sever China into economic regions. It was a terrible occurance from the Western Powers and it caused the destruction of the the last dynasty of China (Ching) which would be completely finished by the Japanese only a few years later.

Anyway, there ya go. And now I am bored again ;) .....

Joel.