Eval of Chris_B's 500f4

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jryoung1947, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Just one shot but his check is on the way. :smile: There still is poor light and I was playing with the Kenko 1.4 DG. (ISO on this is 1250 and wide open). What will I do in good weather?

Sorry it is a 300, having too much fun to think straight!

464428822_99d07823aa_b.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, look at the detail on a bird what was barely lit, it's going to be a great spring and summer for you John.

3. Thanks Frank I just can't wait :biggrin:

4. you are in for some serious fun John!

5. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    When I saw the thread title I had to run to my closet to make sure I didn't send my 500P :wink: (kidding).

You will have a blast John and I'm looking forward to seeing your shots. Now if only my tax return would arrive so I can go lens shopping :biggrin: :biggrin:.

6. Man the difference between youth and well me. I max funded my IRA :Sad:

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I told you that you would love that lens John. Nice capture under horrible conditions. :smile:

8. Thanks again to all of you who responded to all my questions and of course Chris_B who offered the lens. For me it is a great next logical step. :Smart: These were all hand held, now for a set of legs.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  9. You are going to have waaayyy too much fun with this one John!!! :smile: :smile:
    Very nice start!!

10. Ooh, VERY nice, John! You're going to do good things with this lens, I can see that! Off to a good start!

11. Nice Start

That is a great lens and also works great with a 1.4 TC

Good Shooting

12. Follow up shots then I'll close the thread

Thanks for all the help. The "eval" is over and I got the lens. Last shot here now for some Osprey. The swamp is flooded and they sit watching me about 300 feet away. :smile:

465610805_42c4ec4ff5_b.

13. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    That is a great shot John. The feather detail is a testament to the lens and your skill. What were your settings and were you using a tripod/monopod?

14. No pod just my RedSox cap bunched on a shelf. LOL the check should be there today. I just took a half day to go play.

Exposure Time = 1/1000"
    F Number = F5.6
    Exposure Program = Shutter priority
    ISO Speed Ratings = 220 (let there be light)
    Exif Version = Version 2.21

15. MyCat'sEyes@300

Actually Chris the bird shots were okay but this clinched it :Little:

465610647_f519a53dda_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  16. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Real nice. You will like playing with the lens. The truth in advertising caveat is that tracking flying birds or sports in poor light is hard with the 300/4, expecially with a TC. As long as you understand that limitation, it is wonderful.

17. Congrats, John, I think you'll have a blast with the new lens. :smile:

18. I agree with this, which is why I eventually bought a 300mm f/2.8 to use for those BIF shots and with TCs, but I kept my 300mm f/4, too, as it is a super lens and I use it when I'm just walking around the neighborhood here, since it is handholdable.

19. I am sure you all are right! It is one step at a time for me. I like to expand my skills until the equipment limits me then there is always next payday.

It is also macro time for me.

Cheers,

20. Great capture. Congrats on a VERY sharp piece of glass! Don't cut yourself :biggrin:.

Best,

Jose