Critique Even More Baby Swans

I returned to Lake Katherine to photograph the baby swans yesterday. At this point, the cygnets were 8 days old. While I was there, I captured some photograph of other birds--a Canada goose and a mallard duck.

1- It is quite challenging to isolate a cygnet in a photograph. It is rare for one to wander any distance from the others. But, an opportunity for this picture finally presented itself after about an hour into the photo session!

p3897224146-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2- There are six cygnets in total...and one unhatched egg in the nest. Fortunately, all six were still alive yesterday. It isn't unusual for a few to fall to a predator in this early stages of life. I'm told the turtles are one of the main predators at Lake Katherine.

p3897224149-5.jpg

3- This is the cob, or male mute swan. His wing span is about 8 feet. He is quite intimidating and aggressively chases away nearly anything that approaches--geese, people and even small dogs. He was fine with me as long as I stayed ten feet or more away and low to the ground.

p3897224183-5.jpg

4- The pen, or female mute swan, stayed still for long enough for me to capture a detailed image of her feathers.

p3897224147-5.jpg

5- I'm not a fan of the Canada geese as they can be a real nuisance in our neighborhoods. But, I liked the background enough to take this portrait.

p3897224150-5.jpg

6- I noticed that the baby swans are already bigger than they were when I visited last (when they were 5 days old). This seemed most noticeable in that their necks appeared a bit longer.

p3897224148-5.jpg

7- A male mallard duck

p3897224182-5.jpg

8- I will have to spend a lot more time with these swans to capture a suitable family portrait. No matter how long I waited, the 8 of them would just not all look into the camera at once!

p3897224179-5.jpg

I really enjoyed spending time out at this lake with the swans...especially during the coronavirus restrictions that we are under here in the state of Illinois.

Thanks again for looking...
Glenn

Last edited:
Great job on the closeup.
Thank you, Allan
MORE great images! LOVE #4! Superb!
Thanks Karen...much appreciated
You sure had a fun and productive day with the swans, the geese and the ducks! Much as I love the photos of the adorable cygnets, this time around my favorite image has to be Number 4, that fantastic abstract of the female swan's feathers.....So, so cool!
Thanks Connie...I'll have to return once it stops raining here.

Glenn

I returned to Lake Katherine to photograph the baby swans yesterday. At this point, the cygnets were 8 days old. While I was there, I captured some photograph of other birds--a Canada goose and a mallard duck.

1- It is quite challenging to isolate a cygnet in a photograph. It is rare for one to wander any distance from the others. But, an opportunity for this picture finally presented itself after about an hour into the photo session!

View attachment 1661544

2- There are six cygnets in total...and one unhatched egg in the nest. Fortunately, all six were still alive yesterday. It isn't unusual for a few to fall to a predator in this early stages of life. I'm told the turtles are one of the main predators at Lake Katherine.

View attachment 1661545

3- This is the cob, or male mute swan. His wing span is about 8 feet. He is quite intimidating and aggressively chases away nearly anything that approaches--geese, people and even small dogs. He was fine with me as long as I stayed ten feet or more away and low to the ground.

View attachment 1661546

4- The pen, or female mute swan, stayed still for long enough for me to capture a detailed image of her feathers.

View attachment 1661547

5- I'm not a fan of the Canada geese as they can be a real nuisance in our neighborhoods. But, I liked the background enough to take this portrait.

View attachment 1661548

6- I noticed that the baby swans are already bigger than they were when I visited last (when they were 5 days old). This seemed most noticeable in that their necks appeared a bit longer.

View attachment 1661549

7- A male mallard duck

View attachment 1661550

8- I will have to spend a lot more time with these swans to capture a suitable family portrait. No matter how long I waited, the 8 of them would just not all look into the camera at once!

View attachment 1661551

I really enjoyed spending time out at this lake with the swans...especially during the coronavirus restrictions that we are under here in the state of Illinois.

Thanks again for looking...
Glenn
That is a Mallard Drake not a Mallard Duck!

That is a Mallard Drake not a Mallard Duck!
Thanks for pointing out that this is a drake. When I captioned it as a male mallard duck, that’s correct isn’t it?

The Webster dictionary defines mallard as a “male duck”. it was my understanding that all mallards are ducks regardless of gender.

But I prefer to be more precise and will use drake in my captions for the male mallard.

Glenn

Thanks for pointing out that this is a drake. When I captioned it as a male mallard duck, that’s correct isn’t it?

The Webster dictionary defines mallard as a “male duck”. it was my understanding that all mallards are ducks regardless of gender.

But I prefer to be more precise and will use drake in my captions for the male mallard.

Glenn
Try telling a Bull that it is merely a male cow!

Latest threads

Top Bottom