even more UPDATED Pictures **** Demo is done....Flooring is in

[/QUOTE]Well it was a long time coming but we closed on the house Tuesday and started demolition this weekend. Tearing out all the old tile, carpet and replacing it with travertine, hardwoods and carpet in the boys room. replacing all the fixtures and the hardware. Gone around in circles 100 times on color but think we have it nailed down now.....wait wife just said she is having second thoughts on the babies room.

Anyway here are some pics of the demo. Sorry for the quality it was extremely dusty and I didn't want to go in there with the D300 so these are iPhone pics.

New%20House2010-07-03-1680%20.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tearing out the breakfast area

New%20House2010-07-03-1681%20.gif

Stairwell to the upstairs game room. Looking at travertine face and hardwood steps with wrought iron bannisters Any ideas on this?

New%20House2010-07-03-1682%20.gif

Mount Rubble!!!!

New%20House2010-07-03-1683%20.gif

The remains

Will update tomorrow with new pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Looking at travertine face and hardwood steps with wrought iron bannisters Any ideas on this"
To do that I assume you will be tearing out everything and starting over?? How would you end the stone risers on the open skirt board? GH

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
You did all this in a weekend??? :eek:

I like the idea of the wrought iron bannisters and hardwood steps, but with a baby, do you think recarpeting the steps might be an option?

looks like it is coming along nicely! I am surprised by the quality of the photos that the Iphone does...I checked out the EXIF data on mine once and it is a 2.8 lens....

I would carpet the stairs for safety reasons. I was just on a $110,000 kitchen job, so you can imagine the rest of the house. While I was there the homeowner, in high heels, fell down a full flight of hardwood stairs. This was in a different area of the house and had nothing to do with the remodeling. She was lucky to be alive but severely injured.

Have fun! It will take longer, cost more, and expand into more items than you plan - so be ready!

hahahaha. Finding that out. I left a lot of room in the budget for the "You know what would be really cool, ideas....."

Will try and load some more pics soon.

I would carpet the stairs for safety reasons. I was just on a $110,000 kitchen job, so you can imagine the rest of the house. While I was there the homeowner, in high heels, fell down a full flight of hardwood stairs. This was in a different area of the house and had nothing to do with the remodeling. She was lucky to be alive but severely injured.

I will make sure not to let the boys up the stairs in hi-heels. Just kidding.

That is an interesting point. I have never heard of wooden stairs to be a safety hazard. Would carpeted be that much safer if you go tumbling down the steps? I will have to research this and will talk it over with my flooring folks when I meet with them tomorrow.

Thanks for the insight.

"Looking at travertine face and hardwood steps with wrought iron bannisters Any ideas on this"
To do that I assume you will be tearing out everything and starting over?? How would you end the stone risers on the open skirt board? GH

Not sure if I follow your thoughts on this one.

Not sure if I follow your thoughts on this one.

When you say "face" I assume you mean the riser. The vertical peice between each tread. The open treads are the lower ones that have pickets on them. The skirt is the peice following the angle of the treads that the riser is mitered into. My question is- How do you kill the ends of the stone risers without it looking like a train wreck?? I could be done but not without tearing out everything an starting over. I'll weigh in on the wood treads. Wood treads are not dangerous! People with socks on using the stairs is dangerous! Probably 75% of the people I have built stairs for put carpeted runners on the treads after someone takes a spill. GH

Anything but carpet is just more slick, plus I don't know how you feel, but I'd rather hit my head on a padded, carpeted stair than a travertine one :biggrin:

Personally hate carpet as they attract so much dirt and dust mites. No matter what you do, carpet is never clean, no amount of vacuuming, steaming, etc cleans them well enough. I'm not a clean freak or anything but carpet just discusts me, whenever I've ripped it out there's plenty of dirt in every layer of the floor right from the sheeting on up. Area rugs are much better, at least you can pull them up and clean them extensively without harming the underflooring with water.

When you say "face" I assume you mean the riser. The vertical peice between each tread. The open treads are the lower ones that have pickets on them. The skirt is the peice following the angle of the treads that the riser is mitered into. My question is- How do you kill the ends of the stone risers without it looking like a train wreck?? I could be done but not without tearing out everything an starting over. I'll weigh in on the wood treads. Wood treads are not dangerous! People with socks on using the stairs is dangerous! Probably 75% of the people I have built stairs for put carpeted runners on the treads after someone takes a spill. GH

I follow you now. Never thought of that and will have to look into that.

Copy that on the socks part. We had wood stairs as a kid and I do remember them being slick but also don't remember busting it on them.

Anything but carpet is just more slick, plus I don't know how you feel, but I'd rather hit my head on a padded, carpeted stair than a travertine one :biggrin:

If things turn out right you will actually hit your head on the wood, but I get your point. I think I am going to go with wood though and see how it goes.

Personally hate carpet as they attract so much dirt and dust mites. No matter what you do, carpet is never clean, no amount of vacuuming, steaming, etc cleans them well enough. I'm not a clean freak or anything but carpet just discusts me, whenever I've ripped it out there's plenty of dirt in every layer of the floor right from the sheeting on up. Area rugs are much better, at least you can pull them up and clean them extensively without harming the underflooring with water.

I hear you on the problems with carpet, I am the same way and honestly it has gotten so expensive lately. I am putting in the newest carpet from Mohawk in the boys bedrooms and the upstairs gameroom. They are telling me it is nearly impervious to stains and wears like nothing else. Also the new pad has a moisture barrier that keeps liquids and dirt from sinking into the pad. Will let you know how it goes.

Can't wait to see what this looks like. I've never had any issue with hardwood stairs, and they look much nicer than carpet. What sort of wood were you thinking of using?

As for the travertine, there are a couple of things I would suggest. First, make sure there is stone sealer applied to the tiles, as this stone is quite porous and can stain more easily. Secondly, talk the installer about repairs to small pockets that can develop on the surface over time. This mostly occurs when the travertine you are using has empty cavities near the surface covered by a thin layer of stone. Over time, normal use can break this layer down and expose small hole on the surface.

Hope everything goes well with the project!

We did the same thing...our formal is beautiful now. But didn't take before pictures.

We're in the midst of a major overhaul as well. Bathrooms are done. Almost all the painting is done. A few new appliances in the kitchen. Backyard landscaping is next.

Took the bathroom's down to the studs and subflooring.

Good luck on your overhaul. Your project is WAY more daunting then ours!

Full bath before:

806585796_FigL4-L.jpg

Full bath after (WB is off... the room really isn't as yellow as it looks):

29256_536097215068_34701469_31553133_1174089_n.jpg

Can't wait to see what this looks like. I've never had any issue with hardwood stairs, and they look much nicer than carpet. What sort of wood were you thinking of using?

As for the travertine, there are a couple of things I would suggest. First, make sure there is stone sealer applied to the tiles, as this stone is quite porous and can stain more easily. Secondly, talk the installer about repairs to small pockets that can develop on the surface over time. This mostly occurs when the travertine you are using has empty cavities near the surface covered by a thin layer of stone. Over time, normal use can break this layer down and expose small hole on the surface.

Hope everything goes well with the project!

It is an engineered wood, the manufacturer is Alamo Flooring and the style is Travis. It is a handscraped really dark wood.

We did the same thing...our formal is beautiful now. But didn't take before pictures.

Seneca, post some pics. Who did you use for your flooring?

Wow, the bathroom looks amazing. I love the countertops. We are going to be replacing the corian with granite in the fall. I will post some more pics soon. The ones I have now are boring. Really don't show much except the place a lot cleaner. We have been replacing damaged moulding and painted the ceilings.

Bought all the new door handles and light fixtures and waiting on them to be delivered.

Really excited as this is the first time my wife and i have really done what we wanted to do. All other times we moved into the house right after closing and by that time you never end up getting to it.

I don't have any BEFORE pictures...but I will post the AFTER. So I'll post some tonight.

Well a lot has happened in the past week. Demo of course was completed, repairs made to some trim and doors and then painted the entire inside, from trim to ceilings, to walls. Flooring started a couple days ago and began with the travertine. so far it looks great, The Material for the wood floors is supposed to arrive Monday and if that goes smooth then carpet on Wednesday. Finishing touches will be door handles in oil brushed bronze and a few last light fixtures. Can't wait to have this puppy done and move to the outside. Here are a few pics of the progress.

Paint in the master
New%20House542010-07-14-1752%20.gif

Main living area
New%20House542010-07-14-1753%20.gif

Study
New%20House542010-07-14-1758%20.gif

A little floor prep
New%20House542010-07-15-1765%20.gif

A view of my front porch staging for the show
New%20House542010-07-15-1768%20.gif

A few of the first couple tiles
New%20House542010-07-15-1769%20.gif

New%20House542010-07-15-1770%20.gif

Latest threads

Top Bottom