Even the Great ones miss occasionally

Discussion in 'Birds' started by DavidM, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Was going back through some shots and found this one. This GBH was successful on every other attempt I witnessed, but this particular fish got the better of him. Must have made a mad dash at the last second...

original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good catch David. These guys are usually deadly hunters. Lucky fishy. 8)

Are you going to be able to come down to the Merritt shoot in June? I really need to try out that X.... :)

Frank

3. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Love it

Great shot. Love the detail on this one.

4. Thanks Greg and Frank -

Here's the scene just 4 minutes earlier:

original.

Note how accurately he placed his lower beak on this one. Clearly he has some expertise in fishing...

I'd like to come down for the shoot in June, provided my work hours allow me to build up enough finances to afford it (and somebody tells me how to successfully avoid the no-see-ums). I don't think I'll ever forget that tidal pool with all the spoonbills, egrets, and storks you could ever imagine being in one place!

5. OH MAN!! Cool shots David!! :) :) :) :)

6. Wow David a couple of great shots.

7. Holy Cow...these are just fantastic! Incredible captures, David! My only question is how could you have missed these?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. Thanks Bryan and Gordon!

Virginia:

These were part of a sequence I shot very late in the day as the sun was going down, and I had bumped up the ISO to 800 in an effort to get some shutter speed. Was using the 300 f/4 + TC-14 combo wide open at f/5.6, so all of that combined to make them a bit soft and noisy. Plus, most of my shots that afternoon were either back- or front-focused (I think I have the same issue with my D2x Jim F. has been talking about). Because of all that, I had pretty much written off that sequence, but decided to go back through them to see if there were any I could salvage.

Thanks for the kind words...

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shots David,

Hope to see you in June :>)))))))

10. the odds of surviving a GBH attack are probably equal to that of winning a state lottery