Evening Sunflowers

Our town has a community garden, and the sunflowers are in bloom. Tonight I decided to take a few shots around sunset using fill flash - something I rarely do.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

All images were shot with my Olympus OMD and kit lens, and processed using Nik Software.

You hit the flash exposure bang on. I love the purple fairies floating around the big yellow. Turned out very nice. Usually this kind of arrangement turns out rather garishly with mostly blow outs and black back ground.
Oh hey, I just noticed you used the OMD for these. Were you using a Nikon speedlite in manual?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You hit the flash exposure bang on. I love the purple fairies floating around the big yellow. Turned out very nice. Usually this kind of arrangement turns out rather garishly with mostly blow outs and black back ground.
Oh hey, I just noticed you used the OMD for these. Were you using a Nikon speedlite in manual?
Thanks, Ivan. No, I used the little flash unit that comes with the OMD. Not really knowing what the heck I'm doing with flash, it took a lot of experimentation with balancing overall exposure with focal length, distance from subject, and flash compensation - especially since the light was fading fast. Believe me, there were a lot of rejects. :smile: Using Viveza in post to brighten up some of the individual flowers in the background helped a lot too!

I like how these turned out, nice job...! :smile:
Thanks, William!

That second one is a stunner, and you nailed the purples. Fine work there, Bert!
Thanks, Lyndee!

French-Canadian from Montréal, living in Austria

Hi Bert,

Cool stuff you got there but…

Your shots clearly demonstrate that you are ready for off camera flash and
some king of diffusor to take away the harshness of the flash.

You played very well with the aperture settings to balance day and flash light!

Cool stuff you got there!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom