ever been burned on eBay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Larlec, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Larlec

Larlec

Jun 18, 2007
    northern Colorado
    Just a quick inquiry: Have you ever been burned on eBay, buying or selling? How was it resolved?

2. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    not yet... i've had good experience. however, i'm out on my longest limb right now with a payment sent and a camera on its way. (i have a few days to return if i'm not satisfied)

3. No, never.

4. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Out of 100+ transactions, I've gotten 2 bad deals. Both cases were the seller misrepresented what they had. No real resolve, but I give bad feedback.

5. David D. Busch

David D. Busch

Apr 30, 2006
    Midwest
    With precautions, eBay is safe.

Since 2000, I've got a total of 8000 feedbacks so far on eBay, with maybe 1000 of those as a buyer, and the rest as a seller. So far I've had one bounced paper check and two reversed PayPal transactions as a seller, and one non-delivery issue as a buyer (and I got my money back.)

If you use your noggin, eBay is safe. I'd imagine everyone here would be smart enough to have no problems. But the naive and gullible have problems. I've actually seen people bid on laptops, etc. from sellers with 30-40 negative feedbacks, and then be irate at "being taken."

Dave

6. I've browsed eBay for years but only was a buyer onece and never a seller. I bought a Canon G5 and the transaction was fantastic.
    For most things I'm either looking for high demand items that will close for at our more then I could get them for at a known dealer, just look a what people paid for the 18-200 VR, the D200 now AIS lenses are through the roof.
    I'm thinking of selling some lenses but I only have paypal as a buyer and it looks looks like a heavy bite.

Rich

7. One seller had created several different screen names and was bidding the price up. Seller actually had a 10 day money back guarantee and I took advantage of it. Soon as that happened, turned it into Ebay, and they cancelled ALL of his accounts.

8. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Aas mentioned, you have to use common sense. I have neevr had a bad transaction on either side of the fence. There are good deals to be had on eBay, but you need to know your merchandise and pricing.

9. Davidgolf45

Davidgolf45 Guest

I have been very lucky and have had positive experiences on ebay.

10. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I have been burned twice - do NOT buy memory on ebay - it is too easy to buy the real thing locally - first person sold me a defective used HP scanner and would not take it back as he already 'spent' the money and the second person was fake sandisk memory - lost $14 in shipping. Did buy a 300mmII F2.8 with no problems.

11. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    phecksel, how did you become aware that the seller was bidding up the item using different names?

12. I wouldn't say I was burned, but more of a buyer beware and I wasn't familiar enough with camera equipment and eBay to know what to do, so I kind of lost out.

First lens made this grindy-type noise when I focused and after a few days of waffling and asking for people's opinions, I contacted the seller and he said I had waited too long and deal was done. He was right. His add said three days for returns and about a week had gone by. I was so naive I figured that if I was concerned I would get my money back. I didn't even think about the fact that there would be a time limit (this was my first eBay purchase).

What bothered me was he was camera savvy enough to know the lens was faulty. Problem was, I wasn't.

Second lens had a broken aperature pin. I didn't need to have it fixed to use the lens but I paid $100 and had Nikon fix it.

Third lens had loose zoom and I did have second thoughts about returning it...but once again, I just bit the bullet and fixed it. So this lens almost ended up costing me the same as new, and I guess in one way it is now like new.

So - you can see I don't have too much luck with eBay, yet I don't fault the sellers. Thing is, the stuff was not in the fantastic shape the sellers claimed they were.

After paying for shipping and taxes from US to Canada, it's a huge hassle for me to return stuff, but thankfully I live close to Nikon Canada!

The good thing is the prices (compared to Canadian prices) did allow me to save versus new, but my savings of course were always made smaller by the repairs!

So I have stopped buying from eBay and try to buy used, but either local or from camera boards where I get to know and trust the sellers. Also, I have found a few great US camera stores that sell quality used equip (thanks Tosh!).

Out of all of my other lenses bought from sources other than eBay, only one was again, not what the seller claimed it to be, but it was only $100 US and not worth causing a fuss. I just wish people would be a little more forthcoming with the negative aspects....

Just so I don't seem like a total wimp when it comes to eBay, one person did sell me a used Coach bag when the add stated new and I demanded (in a nice way of course) not only a full refund, but my shipping costs to return it to her and I got it! ;)

Kellii

13. I've had pretty good luck on eBay. I mostly have used it to buy old lenses and model trains.

However, I personally know at least half a dozen people that have been defrauded on eBay. And I've never really liked it because it attracts so much of that.

I happen to know a fella that was once a manager in that company's fraud unit.

You don't want to know.

14. I've only bought one item on ebay several years ago and it was a completly satisfactory transaction. Item as advertised everything else went as expected. But now I usually hear nothing but bad experiences from how sellers manipulate bad ratings and turn them against the buyer, how sellers manipulate bidding, how ebay memberships get hi-jacked and how fraud seems almost rampant. Ya I look there once in a while for curiosity but the fear of getting stung and the hassle of trying to deal with it... I just dont bother. It is not worth it to me. I've thought a few times about selling on ebay but I dont know enough about it. I realise that there are legitimate people that make a serious living on ebay but ya can never tell anymore.

15. I'm not gonna answer or I'll jinx myself.

Oops! Guess I just did! :eek:

16. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    I bought a PSP (Play station personal) for my son for his birthday. Won the auction for a pretty good price. When the item arrived the box was empty!! I got the sellers phone number off of the UPS shipping sticker and called the seller and he tried some song and dance. I threatened to call the local police in his area and mysteriously a refund appeared about 10 minutes later in my paypal account.

Dan

17. No bad experiences so far, but I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later.

18. Larlec

Larlec

Jun 18, 2007
    northern Colorado
    Interesting responses. I've only had three negative experiences. Once I ordered some foot pegs for an old Honda Dream and, after inquiring as to weather they would fit that particular model and was told they would, they didn't and the seller was a complete jerk about it. It was only a $10 transaction so no biggie. Another time I bought a sprayer advertised as "like new" but when it was time to ship it the seller informed me that it was in for warranty work. I had already paid and it was a pain getting him to credit back my PayPal account but he finally did and I canceled the transaction. I bought another sprayer, advertised as used only once, which came clogged and unusable. It took me three hours to clean and fix it up and I had to buy another hose but the seller stood behind it and reimbursed me for the hose, time and materials.
    I guess the moral of the stories is, as others have pointed out, that it's buyer beware, check carefully the seller, their feedback and ask lots of questions if in doubt. I think the questions are important as they provide a basis for negotiation if problems arise.

19. Overall, most responses have been positive.
    I have had a bad experience, but that is one bad versus around 50 good, so I keep buying, I am way ahead in savings to cover the bad one.
    Here is a tip, do not sell anything to Indonesia. There is a stolen credit card racket over there. I sold a camera and I was paid by credit card, 2 months later the funds were withdrawn from my bank account. Nothing I could say would stop the banks pulling the money.

20. I have over 400 transactions right now and only once had a bad experience but the item was a very cheap one.
    In another case, an item did not arrive but the seller sent me an exact replacement without argument.

Cheers