Ever have buyer's remorse for Lenses?

I sold my 18-200VR.
I sold my 18-70.
I sold my D80 body.

I held onto the 50 1.8.
I love my D200.

17-55 arriving today in the evening.
Just ordered 70-200VR from B&H 3 hours ago.

I feel like I have sinned by spending so much
on Lenses.... when the 18-200VR covered
pretty much the same range. Right now I
feel anxious... half empty, half excited.

Will all this go away once I receive the
lenses and start taking uber nice pics?

Need ya'll to calm me down a bit... as I'm sure
you guys have gone through this more than I
have.

I do not intend to purchase any more lenses
for a while... (back of my mind I heard a voice
going... 'ya right')

Thanks,
Jimmy

Btw, I shoot a lot of indoors candids... ie. dinner
parties, people around the house... as well as
night time softball.

Relax, I think most of us go through this with major purchases - especially if they seem a bit extravagant at the time.
You'll get over it!

Do/Did you post on the BMW forums on Roadfly?
There was a Larty over there.

Congrats on the two lenses. If could only have two... those would be the ones.

Don

StL_Don,

Yup, that was me! I also recognized your forum name.
I knew it was you! Do you still post on roadfly?

Thanks for the kind words. I think I will definitely get
over it once I start shooting with them.

Did you shoot some F1 pictures? What lens did you
use?

Thanks!
Jimmy

I justify lens purchases by comparing photgraphy to other activities. Lets say car collecting, stamp collecting and womanizing are three other "hobbies".

One car costs a lot more than all of your lenses combined. Stamps can be rediculously priced and the only true enjoyment is fixed to the possession of the stamp. With photography you can share your enjoyment with others, pay for the lenses with sales of your photos, release tension through expression of your art and have a great time building memories of past events.

Womanizing is dangerous, especially if you are already committed to another. Photography in this case would be much safer and cheaper than divorce court.

I guess my point is that if photography makes you life more worthwhile and helps keep you happy then the cost of good glass is easily outweighed by the benefits obtained.

If your significant other doesn't kill you with the purchase, count your blessings and go create some beautiful photos.

Regards,

I justify lens purchases by comparing photgraphy to other activities. Lets say car collecting, stamp collecting and womanizing are three other "hobbies".

One car costs a lot more than all of your lenses combined. Stamps can be rediculously priced and the only true enjoyment is fixed to the possession of the stamp. With photography you can share your enjoyment with others, pay for the lenses with sales of your photos, release tension through expression of your art and have a great time building memories of past events.

Womanizing is dangerous, especially if you are already committed to another. Photography in this case would be much safer and cheaper than divorce court.

I guess my point is that if photography makes you life more worthwhile and helps keep you happy then the cost of good glass is easily outweighed by the benefits obtained.

If your significant other doesn't kill you with the purchase, count your blessings and go create some beautiful photos.

Regards,

True, thansk Bob. That's a good reminder.

The moments we capture with the camera sometimes can never be
re-created under any circumstances, and that in itself is truely
invaluable.

Thanks.

Jimmy

Real Name
William Beem
I object. Womanizing isn't dangerous. Marriage is dangerous. That said, photography is still cheaper than either endeavor.

I am in the same boat -- started out w/ the D50 in Feb 2006 w/ a nikon 28mm 2.8 and nothing else. Sold the lesn off for the 18-70. Then bought the 50mm 1.8 based n its reputation. Lens Lust got to me really bad and paid a (stupidly) premium price for the 18-200 VR, but at least recouped by selling the 18-70. After 5 months, decided to sell the 18-200 VR (and had immediate remorse about that) and order the 24-85 3.5-4.5 for a smaller lens footprint. The sample I got was terrible, so I sold that and am now waiting on the 85mm 1.8 and the 55-200 VR from B&H. Right now all I have is the 50mm 1.8 and the D80 (sold off the D50 to fund the D80).
I'm sure everyone has a similar story :)

I am in the same boat -- started out w/ the D50 in Feb 2006 w/ a nikon 28mm 2.8 and nothing else. Sold the lesn off for the 18-70. Then bought the 50mm 1.8 based n its reputation. Lens Lust got to me really bad and paid a (stupidly) premium price for the 18-200 VR, but at least recouped by selling the 18-70. After 5 months, decided to sell the 18-200 VR (and had immediate remorse about that) and order the 24-85 3.5-4.5 for a smaller lens footprint. The sample I got was terrible, so I sold that and am now waiting on the 85mm 1.8 and the 55-200 VR from B&H. Right now all I have is the 50mm 1.8 and the D80 (sold off the D50 to fund the D80).
I'm sure everyone has a similar story :)

That's funny... I found myself with just the 50 1.8 as well.
I had the D80 with the 50 1.8 for a while when I was looking
for the 18-70. Very recently, also with just the 50 1.8 but
with the D200... while I wait for the 17-55 and 70-200 to arrive.

Jimmy

R

Removed User 3

I sold my 18-200VR.
I sold my 18-70.
I sold my D80 body.

I held onto the 50 1.8.
I love my D200.

17-55 arriving today in the evening.
Just ordered 70-200VR from B&H 3 hours ago.

I feel like I have sinned by spending so much
on Lenses.... when the 18-200VR covered
pretty much the same range. Right now I
feel anxious... half empty, half excited.

Will all this go away once I receive the
lenses and start taking uber nice pics?

Need ya'll to calm me down a bit... as I'm sure
you guys have gone through this more than I
have.

for a while... (back of my mind I heard a voice
going... 'ya right')

Thanks,
Jimmy

Btw, I shoot a lot of indoors candids... ie. dinner
parties, people around the house... as well as
night time softball.

Thats the boy Jimmy...now you feel better. I know I did. Give it a week and you will need another one...:cool:

Fortunately you can usually get s good percentage of what you bought it for back on the resale. Just tell yourself the difference was a rental fee.

Fortunately you can usually get s good percentage of what you bought it for back on the resale. Just tell yourself the difference was a rental fee.

That's what I tell myself everytime I sell a lens. =D

Btw, do these pro dx lenses hold their value really well?
Assuming they were not abused while in use.

You're unlikely to loose much on the 17-55 and 70-200, although you won't get the "new" price for them selling second hand, if it's in mint condition with warranty papers they should only loose around 10% of their value.

G

Gr8Tr1x

I've had sellers remorse many times...oh well, its all about shuffling glass around.

I've had sellers remorse many times...oh well, its all about shuffling glass around.

Same here :wink: Sold the TC-14EII a while back and regret it deeply.

No buyers remorse for any of my lenses either. I only hate to see the D2x depreciate so rapidly, but that's how things evolve...

selling lenses??????

Larty
for a while...

Now that was funny!!

I started out with my 18-200VR. I bought my 17-55 and my 70-200VR with the intent of selling my 18-200VR. That never happened. I purchased a 28-70 nikon with the intent of selling my 17-55. that never happened.
Again with the intent of selling my 18-200VR I bought my 50mm 1.4 and my TC14II. Yup you guessed it I still have my 18-200!!
I like all my lenses. They all have different uses(thats what I keep telling myself). I'm keeping them.
Next on my list is the 12-24 and the 300VR or the 200-400VR Then thats it!!! Snicker Snicker.....

HHARRIS
:)

G

Gr8Tr1x

Now that was funny!!

I started out with my 18-200VR. I bought my 17-55 and my 70-200VR with the intent of selling my 18-200VR. That never happened. I purchased a 28-70 nikon with the intent of selling my 17-55. that never happened.
Again with the intent of selling my 18-200VR I bought my 50mm 1.4 and my TC14II. Yup you guessed it I still have my 18-200!!
I like all my lenses. They all have different uses(thats what I keep telling myself). I'm keeping them.
Next on my list is the 12-24 and the 300VR or the 200-400VR Then thats it!!! Snicker Snicker.....

HHARRIS
:)

You'll fit in well around here :biggrin:

The only time I've had buyer's remorse is when I bought lenses with plans to upgrade them at a later date. I should've bought the good stuff to start with and saved myself the "rental fee."

J

jeremyInMT

As long as I'm spending money that I actually have, I don't have buyer's remorse. Now if I bought it without having the money to actually pay for it, I think I would have buyer's remorse.

As long as I'm spending money that I actually have, I don't have buyer's remorse. Now if I bought it without having the money to actually pay for it, I think I would have buyer's remorse.
I second that one. I have never regretted anything I have purchased and I think it's because I have never paid one single cent in interest for it.

Hubby and I have a deal. Hobbies are non essentials. If you want it, you save for it. No credit cards allowed.

That said.. I have 2 credit cards.. Amex, which I pay every month and a Visa which is ONLY for emergencies. (dogs, cars, etc.)

Latest threads

Top Bottom