1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ever heard of this guy?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ralph Gibson

He's going to be addressing my school, giving a portrait workshop and (if I get up the gumption) critiquing my portfolio Friday. What should I expect?

2. Awesome!

Love his work.

3. Yes yes! That's cool! What should you expect? I have no idea... But it will surely be a very positive experience.

4. His body of work is impressive.

Did you see his show in Tucson? (sp?)

Do you want your work critiqued? Would you benefit, and grow from such a thing? Why?

5. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Wow , What a opportunity!

6. I know that I am not qualified to judge anyone's body of work. His is cool. Some photos are downright silly. Others are exceptional. So is yours. I think you both have an interesting vision. Some of your stuff is downright silly. Other photos are exceptional. I put you both on similar planes. Perhaps you should be critiquing him?

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Chris,
    You will never know if you don't try. Everybody has a different style.
    So go for it

8. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I think you can expect a warm reception of your work but be prepared for a serious critique.. Meet him, show your work and absorb what you can. Frankly, I can't believe he's willing to crtique student level work. That says a lot about his integrity and devotion to the art and craft. You should go on foot even if you break both legs before Friday. What an opportunity to gain insight from an acknowledged master!

9. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    Ralph Gibson?!?! Wow, he's what got me into photography over 20 years ago. You're very lucky and will learn a lot from this master.

Chris

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Good to know Chris, I am surely looking forward to it - AND the portraiture workshop with Ralph. Friday looks to be a pretty good day. I haven't looked at anything about Gibson yet. What should I expect from him? And, not to sound like too much of a gear-head, but what camera/lens/film should I take? Here's what he said about digital portfolios:

I can appreciate his position, so I've prepared an all photo-chemical portfolio of about 20 images. But I'm inclined to take the IR-converted, D70 that Beezle sent me a while back.

I mean ... right?

11. Sounds like fun.

I'd love to have the tar beat out of me by someone with that experience and talent. That's exactly how I got to be a pretty good programmer. I had a few good programmers drag me through the fire.

But I have to say that rebelling against them was just as important as what I learned from them.

I guess I would take what I considered representative of what matters to me. That is the effort that counts, and I bet he would see that.

I'm good at being nice, but I'm not good at kissing butt. I treat my superiors like peers, except of course THE superior, who I have no power against. You know, him.

12. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Well, he has worked exclusively with the Leica M system for 45 years. In fact, Leica has introduced an autographed model bearing his name (with red leather grips) that you can purchase for $5500. Only 50 will be made ever. Maybe that will give you a clue as to what approach to take. I'd say leave the digital IR work at home unless you're jonesen for a confrontation. The guy's a purist who loves film.

Am I correct in reading that you're not that familiar with his work? Think deeply saturated blacks, great tonality, grain, exceptional eye for grabbing the moment and an adoration of the hand gesture and shadow in composition. You two should hit it off pretty well I think.

PS: I know you think I'm clueless regarding film from some of the comments I've made but that was just for the sake of emphasising composition over technology. Nonetheless, I am keenly aware and appreciative of photography from the purist point of view. I honestly get what you and other film guys are trying to accomplish and exhibit. Its really not lost on me. I shot film for many years prior to digital.

Here's a shot that was taken in a pool with Tri-X. You might remember it from someplace else. Dwayne Fly, a Hell's Angel who loved to dive the murky lakes of Iowa and Nebraska. He's wearing plastic Halloween eyes under his dive mask.

Good luck! And please be sure to report back as to how the meeting went; good, bad or ugly.

DwayneFly2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  13. Love that one. Would enjoy hearing the story behind it.

The crazy photo I mean.

14. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

You mean me Beeze? The Dwayne Fly pic?

When I lived in the Midwest and was first smitten with UW photography, all I had was the local dive scene to follow. "Exotic" dive trips to the Caribbean and elsewhere came only one or twice a year for me; less often for many others. Divers tend to hang with people from a particular dive shop, they become your extended dive family. We dived the murky lakes of the Midwest together.

As such, I followed a group of divers around various fresh water lakes and quaries in the Midwest for several years. We'd dive any old reservior, lake or pond deeper than 25 feet within a 6 hour drive. One of the guys I got to know was Dwayne Fly, a Hell's Angel who liked to dive. Like most bikers I ever met, he was a pussy-cat really who liked to exhibit a rough and tough exterior.

On this occassion we were all at a local YMCA pool in Winter tuning up our dive skills. Think 10*F outside. I was there in advance of a planned dive trip to Bonaire to test out a new housing. Dwayne was there just to dive the swimming pool. But he surprised me with his plastic Halloween eyes and so this shot.

Anyway, I followed him and several others around for a couple of seasons just to document the overall experience. This is just one of the shots I took of Dwayne over that course of time. I always wanted to produce a coffee table book titled, "Prairie Pools" but never quite got around to that due to the expense.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  15. That's some shot Mike!

I hope the critique goes well for you, Chris - I'd not heard of this gentleman myself, but on seeing his portfolio, I wished I had.

16. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Thanks John but this thread is about Chris, Sorry I hijacked it with a pic.

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hijack on Mike - I'm no thread miser! Your comments are well taken - and look, I do have a optically printed, silver/gelatin portfolio to show. Here's a print from it:

[imgn]http://homepage.mac.com/cheilman1/images/photos/film/old/bgundertree.jpg[/imgn]

Ed, Steve Jobs, right?

ps, Mike, I remember that photo well, you sold a copy of it to ... I can't remember who, last Fall.

18. What a great thread...

19. Chris - that's a beautiful image, I bet it's spectacular as a print.

I find I keep reopening the thread to look at it - it gives of a sense of subtlety that jars with the (apparently) hard light in the mid portion.

20. That is a great one, Chris.

Not that I know what a gelatin print is!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.