1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ever sold a domain name?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Butlerkid, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I have a .com domain name that expires in 2021. I've only used it a couple of times and am researching how difficult it is to sell it. A quick check indicates it might be worth about $600.

Currently it is registered at GoDaddy. They will let me list it for sale for $4.95 and take 20% of the sales price if it sells. They ensure the seller is legit, etc. No idea if they do any "marketing" or how folks know GoDaddy has domain names for sale.

I see other places listed on the internet like Sedo, Flippa and Afternic but haven't researched them yet.

2. What is the name that it is worth that much? Just curious.

3. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Many names go for much more! LOL! And of course, the actual amount I may get for it may be much less. The one I am considering selling is PleasantHomePhotos.com It would fit in really well with real estate and/or photography. The reason I created it should be obvious. LOL!

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I have sold several domain names on godaddy, and it has been a while, and they netted about 10-15% of what they say it is worth. Almost not worth it for some names. The folks who buy now are almost all parkers, meaning they buy sites not for developing, but for parking add links and sites to garner clicks or hits. I parked a few with godaddy, and never earned more than my parking fee, but they were my lower level names anyway.

Give it a try, easy with them, at least it was a fair number of years ago.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  5. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks, @Commodorefirst@Commodorefirst! I'll check out some of the other sites also. No rush, I've paid for it until 2021!

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I have been downsizing my ownership, was around 30-35, now in the low 20s. A lot are our names I bought many many years ago in the early days. And a lot for my photo site and also my daughters potentential dance company names.

Just about every good two word combination.com has been purchased. Rather amazing. 15-20 years ago it was the wild wild west.

Also, funny story, I used to buy Kristin's name with her serious guy she was dating last name. Just in case and for future business possibilities. I did not do that this last one, but as per usual, they are moving on after a few years of being together. She has about a two year average the last three serious boyfriends.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.