Ever try using a portable power pack outside?

Guys,

While I wait for the new Vagabond mini to arrive, I have been trying to find alternate ways to get portable power for outside shoots. I have a power pack type thing I keep in the car that also acts as a battery jumper/charger, air compressor etc etc. Been wondering if it would blow the fuse if I were to try and use it to power 2 AB400's... Anyone tried anything like this?

I have a very important shoot coming up and really don't want to buy a Vagabond II for 2 months and then be stuck with it when the Mini comes out and everyone is basically giving away their Vagabond II's...

Jonny

I've seen home-made power packs built and used on the 'net, but never in person. I'd be careful about trying to rig up something like this, as you might fry your Bees. Otherwise, pick up a small generator and a couple extention cords. Best advice I can offer. Sorry.:frown:

BC: Well, I just did a field test and my power pack failed handsomely. Made it a whole "1" flash before it quit... Guess I will be using a bigass generator!!

Jonny

BC: Well, I just did a field test and my power pack failed handsomely. Made it a whole "1" flash before it quit... Guess I will be using a bigass generator!!

Jonny

I've heard that you really want to use a generator that uses "Inverter technology". Like the Honda EU1000iA, 2000iA, and 3000iSA.

Well that sucks, but look at the bright side: the next time a tornado rolls though Oklahoma and kills the power, you'll have a generator.

LOL - I enjoy your positive outlook sir :biggrin:

I've heard that you really want to use a generator that uses "Inverter technology". Like the Honda EU1000iA, 2000iA, and 3000iSA.

Interesting... I did not know this. Although the Vagabond II's are still selling for $260 used, so I may just pick one up in the meantime if I only end up losing $50 out of the deal... Would be worthwhile to not destroy a generator in the process :eek:

Thanks guys,
Jonny

W

wrvisual

Power Packs

If you are going to use anything to run your lights off your auto battery, make sure that the unit is reunning a "pure" sine wave form. Any of the inexpensive inverters, generators or whatever your looking at will run a Modified sine wave which will likely blow your light and or circuits. Be very careful. I have spent the money on a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter, 2 deep cycle 6 volt batteries and a bunch of wiring to keep them charged up off my truck. Oh my,,, spent big bucks but is worth it.

most generators should run a sine wave, since it's already an alternating source, the inverter added to some generators is likely more about keeping the voltage/frequency within tolerences and avoiding spikes etc.

At least that is my understanding regards generators, cheap DC to AC converters though generally are a long way from a sine wave

I called the techies at AlienBees, and they told me I could probably safely run 2 AB800s off a Honda EU1000. I haven't tried it yet, but they were pretty confident. I already have the generator, and it does run a very clean sine wave.

I called the techies at AlienBees, and they told me I could probably safely run 2 AB800s off a Honda EU1000. I haven't tried it yet, but they were pretty confident. I already have the generator, and it does run a very clean sine wave.

Might get a little noisy though :eek: JK!

We use the Honda 2000iA model with 2 White Lightning 1600s all day. Figure its super quiet, if you set it far enough away you won't even here it. Works great. Very happy although the 1000 model should do it for the AB400s as they are technically only 160w/s units.

To be safe though you might want to look at the Honda 2000iA model, its not much more expensive. Don't forget you could always go the rental route, they are only about $30-50 a day in my area if you want to wait for the new Vagabond.

For Honda generators you might check out:
http://www.wisesales.com/
Wise Equipment & Rental, Inc.
1475 Rodenburg Rd
Schaumburg, IL 60193-3532
(847)895-5555

A year ago I called them up and got a quote, including shipping and handling:
EU2000iA
$889

Locally they were going for $999.00

Latest threads

Top Bottom