Everett Osprey - Question on strange Osprey Behavior

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Well, for those who DON't know, living under a rock or something :wink: , I have been whining for WEEKS about all these great Osprey shot's that Harris and Jim Thiel have been getting. Just royally annoys me, no end. I go out last Saturday to a place that is GUARANTEED, and do I find any? Not a danged one, but on my drive home I spied a nest, where I stopped by on the way home tonight....

These first 2 images were the only time that one of the Osprey flew anywhere near me, in fact the only time the female flew at all. I like these, and plan to really work these in Capture. Any hints on what you would do, I'd love to hear.

Here's Looking at You!
    DSC2104.sized.

Cruisin'....
    DSC2105.sized.

My plan is to do more selective sharpening and some work to darken up the sky a bit as well. Other suggestions more than welcome. In these 2 images the bird takes up most of the vertical axis of a horizontal shot. She got much closer than I expected, I like it :lol: .

The next 2 are about 3 times further away, and are here to illustrate the "strange" behavior that I wonder about. The female was calling away, as were the chicks, and Daddy came flying in with this:

Dinner, on the Talon.....
    DSC2121.sized.

This also gives an idea of how big the nest is. I'd swear that a big chunk of this fish is gone already. So, the male flies into the nest with this fish, sits there for 5 minutes or so and then flies off with it to another piling and eats for the 30 minutes or so. Nothing was left in the nest.

Then he takes off from the other piling bringing this:

Leftovers....
    DSC2145.sized.

Once again the female had been calling. The male sat there for 10 minutes or so and then flew back to his piling leaving the fish this time. The female and chicks then ate for the next 45 minutes or so. Anyone have any idea if this is normal feeding behavior?

I haven't decided if I am going to try to do anything with these feeding images yet, I have a bunch of Mom feeding the kids as well, as they are a long way off, but I will at the very least do some web sized versions.

Looks like the only thing I have to whine about now is that I want an Osprey actively fishing, I'm just spoiled, never satisfied :wink: , maybe I should use this as an excuse to get back to Florida, eh :?: :?:

2. great series Bill I love the shot of the flounder (?) in it's claws

3. Just imagine what these pics would have looked like with X , heck with Florida. LOL!! Nicely done Bill!

4. Well, its about time! So you finally nail some Osprey flight shots. :D Now, when you come down here, we'll get you close to Sandhills so you can get some feeding shots. 8)

Good job Bill. I like them. We can never ever be close enough, unless its the times we're too close, eh? :lol:

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots Bill. The behavior that you have documented isn't that different from what we saw on Merritt Island a few months ago. The male started out by offering a whole fish, and ended up giving the female about a third, after he got through eating the head and most of the body. 8)

6. Congrats Bill two great flight shots.. you shoudl work them up and print them out

7. Thanks, Andreas. I am pretty sure that is a flounder, but it sure looks to me as if part of the head is already gone, maybe the male had been chowing down even earlier :lol: . One thing I just learned that I didn't know is that Osprey turn the fish until the head is pointing forward when they carry it off. I guess it is more aero-dynamic that way or something...... 8)

8. Thanks, Keith, just proves we DO get sunshine once in a while up here in the Soggy World of Webbed Feet :lol:

The X would have helped for the shots out in the nest, that is for sure. Oh, the decisions one has to make in life....... :wink:

9. Darn right, Harris, you have inspired me for sure :lol: :lol: As to the Sandhills, maybe Mary can show us both how to get some Flight Shots as well........ :wink:

Funny thing is that I missed some shots of the female Osprey when she DID come too close, but those sure are rare......

Thanks!

10. Thanks, Frank. Two things puzzled me about this. The first is that it looks to me like a good chunk of the head of the flounder is already gone. The second was that he brought the fish to the nest and then took it away to eat his share. I'm surprised the female and chicks didn't gang up on him first time around, they sure had him outnumbered :lol: :lol:

11. Thanks, Mike, that is my plan for at least the first 2. The second one, I think, is a bit better shot, but having the bird looking straight at me in the first is pretty darned cool as well. I think this will be part of my Weekend Task List :wink:

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I think that the Males Like tthe Heads......

original.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I think Jim is right. :lol:

[​IMG]

14. Wow, that is REALLY interesting, Jim and Frank. I worked with a lady once who had a job as a 'Header' on a commercial fishing boat, Salmon, in Alaska. Her job was to take the fish, shove the head under this big-honkin-automatic blade and whack the heads off. A fair percentage of folks who did this for a living are missing a few fingers.....

I don't think the Osprey use those, but this is really intriguing. Time for more research, a call to Audobon perhaps.

Hey, Harris, didn't you say you had met a naturalist person recently? Can you check with them?

15. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    That's Why

That's why the male Osprey has all the brains....cause they eat them!

16. I am very tempted to say something about this "head" stuff but I won't! :D

Nice catch on the 1st two shots! A little crop here and there and it's a wall hanger!!

17. Nice shots....just amazing how these raptors can lift huge fish out of the water and fly around with ease!! :D :shock: :D :shock:

18. Re: That's Why

Oh-oh, I'm NOT showing THIS thread to my wife now :wink:

19. You big Chicken :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, she was sure "giving me the eye" in that first one. I'll be playing around with the crops to see what I like, it will be interesting to see what happens when I cut almost all of the sky out. Any suggestions?

20. Thanks. The other fascinating thing to me is that they will turn the fish in their talons while in flight so that it is "head foward". Aero-dynamics maybe?

When we in Florida, the one decent Osprey shot I got was while we were watching two Osprey fishing. It was tough shooting as I was laying in the bow of a rocking boat. We watched both of the Osprey repeatedly dive and miss fish, which was surprising in itself, and the only one we saw that caught a fish, caught one too big to lift. Unfortunatley it was turned away from us, so pictures would have stunk, but you could see it struggling. Luckily it was able to disengage. I have been told that at times an Osprey will nail a fish that is too big and won't be able to release it. It then gets dragged into and under the water, much to the distress of the bird. They don't like it when the Fish Wins......