Featured Everglades National Park

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by gnagel, Mar 6, 2017.

1. I revisited this image earlier today to prepare the file for a large metal print. It was captured a few years ago at Everglades National Park.

p2229595623-4.
    D700, 14-24 2.8

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. I like how the rock is color differently from the light.

3. Thanks Allan...

I lucked out with this shot. I was staying at a campground that was located just beyond the trees in the left of the frame. I walked to this spot in the dark the next morning. I had just one chance at this image...so I was hoping for still conditions. There was no wind. The water was perfectly still. And, the colors were spectacular.

Glenn

4. One of those "Once In A Lifetime" shots!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks Jason...I might go back to this location next winter, but I doubt that the conditions will be the same!

Glenn

6. How large will the metal print be, Glenn?

Attached Files:

7. This one is 24x30". However, someone just ordered a 40x60" metal print of another photograph from me!

Glenn

8. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Fantastic shot. I love the light and the lines.

9. Thanks James

Glenn

10. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

I remember this image! Loved it then, love it now!

11. Very nice Glenn

12. Thanks Lyndee
    Thank you, Tony

Glenn

13. digipix

digipix

Mar 30, 2006
    Alvin
    Glenn,
    This is a superb composition. I commented on your Instagram feed (as @atenpo_photography) and I'll comment here as well.

The pastels are simply beautiful and the composition is fantastic, the leading lines and the complementary shape of the foreground rock and reflection is just perfect.

I was wondering if you could give a little bit of back story if you have time. What your thoughts were prior to arriving to your location, your thoughts on composition and basic post processing that went into this shot.

A lot to ask, but I know I could learn something from your thought process.

Thank you.
    Alvin

14. Thanks Alvin...

As long as you asked...

I checked into a campground that was located very close to this lake. My vehicle is just behind the treeline on the left of the frame. I had to clone out a few vehicles--that's how close the campground was to this location. That afternoon, I scouted this location...because I planned on returning the next morning in the dark.

I was only going to get one chance at this image, so I prayed that it wouldn't be windy. I wanted to lake to be still. And, colors in the sky would be a nice bonus!

A concern was the alligators that reside in the lake. Snakes are also a concern! I used a headlamp...and was able to see the trail well enough that I thought things would be OK. Fortunately, I didn't get close to anything that was going to bite me.

As I approached this scene, the large rock was an obvious choice for foreground. My initial shots weren't composed as well...the rock looked small and it was centered. By moving to my right, the rock moved left and made for a more interesting composition. Rarely does a centered item work in the frame. Then, I zoomed out to 15mm with the Nikon 14-24 (using a full frame sensor). This provided a very wide angle...which allowed me to get very close to the rock. That makes the rock look a lot more imposing in the frame. I used f/18 (if I recall) to ensure that the entire frame is in focus.

The post processing is a bit more difficult to explain. I processed this image when I first captured it in 2012. I revisited the image the other day using many more editing skills that I've acquired over the last five years. The things that impacted the image most are the multiple exposures. I bracketed three exposures so that I could open the shadows in the rock as well as retain more color in the sky. Basically, it's HDR. I tweaked the colors a bit by adjusting the white balance and by adjusting curves (blue, red and green channels). I applied selective sharpening and contrast on the rock. I reduced contrast a bit in the foggy areas. And, I applied some noise reduction in the sky.

I hope this helps. My printer just sent me an email tonight saying that he thinks the metal print turned out great. It's the first time that I've printed on metal...and I can't wait to see it!

Thanks again...and hopefully this wasn't too long winded. But, you did ask!

Glenn

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  15. digipix

digipix

Mar 30, 2006
    Alvin
    Thanks so much for your back story. A lot of thought and preparation goes into making a great image as well as having the awareness of potential hazards (gators and snakes).
    Your post processing is really great.

Maybe one day I'll be able to see your print somewhere.

Cheers,
    Alvin

16. Thanks Alvin...

When I came across this scene, I thought it would be worth making the extra effort to capture it under the right conditions. Even so, it requires a great deal of luck!

Glenn

17. I am sure this looked fantastic on metal.

18. Thanks...I can't wait to see it. It's scheduled to arrive on Tuesday.

Glenn

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. digipix

digipix

Mar 30, 2006
    Alvin
    I guess, it's cliche, but luck favors the prepared.

20. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Hi Glenn. You have a wonderful eye. I lone this shot and the pp is excellent as always.
    Mike

• Like Like x 1