Every homeowner's nighmare

...To bad stuff like this isn't reported on in the news more often.

Paris Hilton's drama is FAR more interesting :Smoking:

Joking aside, God Bless and good thing all is going well (except insurance ineptitude). I too live in a small community and would/could only hope people would be so kind. Perhaps they are as my furnace had issues this winter in -30*C weather (ok the stack was flopped over from sliding snow) and the local gas fitting company had ordered and installed a new furnace and stack within four days (nothing shipped or done over the weekend so we could safely say 2 business days).

Small towns are where it's at!

Wow Woody, what a story. I am so glad that you and your cats are ok. Sorry that you had to go through all this. What a blessing it must be to live in a small town where you still get treated like that. Wish you all the best as you get back to things back to normal. Keep us updated.

I'm sorry this happened to you, Woody but glad that you, your cats, and most of your stuff are OK and that folks are looking out for you. We've suffered lightning damage a couple of times (nothing nearly as serious as yours) and I've got some sense of how scary it can be and what a huge PITA the results can be.

Best of luck working through the aftermath. If you need anything just holler.

Glad to hear that you, your camera equipment and your cats are okay! :smile:

By the way, not that I am a huge State Farm fan, but I have a great friend who is a State Farm agent here in town and that is not the way he reats people. This agent would probably be at your home helping you clean up! I guess my point is that this is more of a reflection on your particular agent than State Farm in general. There are some pretty good ones out there too... though I would be changing agents in your case.

WOW, you're one luck guy Woody and it could have been worse but I'm glad everything is turning out OK. I've been trying to get out of Dodge for a while now and it hasn't happened but I'll keep trying at least I got the land already in TN.

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
I have a great friend who is a State Farm agent here in town and that is not the way he reats people. This agent would probably be at your home helping you clean up! I guess my point is that this is more of a reflection on your particular agent than State Farm in general. There are some pretty good ones out there too... though I would be changing agents in your case.

I agree completely... the message on his answering machine is all about the different policies he sells but not the toll-free emergency number. I'll be looking to switch agents... chances are I won't be able to find another company since I've filed a claim.

Of course there is still the possibility that SF will drop me now. "Use it and lose it" as they like to say in the insurance biz.

Oh, I forgot that part... It's been almost 4 days since I called to file a claim and I have YET to receive one phone call from either my State Farm agent or State Farm. I've spoken to them, but still no Adjuster has shown up.

I've received RETURN calls from my agent's office, but not a single call from him showing any concern for my well being or State Farm's responsibility.

I should have gotten my Home Owner's insurance from an Insurance Company with an office in Youngsville.

I'll be looking into that on Monday.

I had (still have) State Farm and they were spectacular. They had us in a temporary home immediately and cut us a "starter" check to help us get going within a day or so.

Our agent/adjuster at that time was an hour's drive away.

I think it just depends on the particular office.
In your case it sounds like you do need to start shopping.

Don

What a great community!! Good thing that it wasn't too serious (damagewise), and I'm glad to see the backups did their job!

Woody, I am very glad you and your pets were unharmed and most of your gear came through. I think you would still be a great PJ, but when the action is happening to you, the concerns are different. Your pets and gear are your main priority, not grabbing pics of what is going on around you.
What does that say about the person that you are? The police chief comes to your house and then goes and gets you breakfast, and all of those people come to your aid like that. I know living in a small town helps, but it is also a reflection on who you are that they WANT to come out to help you.

I wish you well in the recovery and rebuild process, and it is good to see you back on here. If there is anything I can do, please feel free to ask.

Take care, Larz

Real Name
Chris
Woody - WHEW!!! I'm so glad that you, the cats and cameras are ok! Now if those crooks insurance folk would get their act together everything will be back to normal. You are one lucky man!

Yikes Woody! It's great that no one was hurt. Fortunately all that was lost can be replaced. Human and pets are worth so much more than that. I'm surprised about State Farm. They have a good reputation as far as I knew. As for the "good hands" people..I think thay're Allstate and at one time were originally owned by Sears. Some time ago they were very poorly rated.

Fortunately you do have recourse with insurance companies. Here's the North Carolina Department of Insurance. Here's where you can complain.

Good lluck.

Rich

Woody, sorry to hear about your incident. Fortunately you, your pets and your equipment were unharmed.

Maybe if you ever find the plumber that put those water pipes where they are you can by him/her a nice dinner.

Those Belkin UPS's sound like a very wise investment. I'll have to see about getting one for the computer and the TV.

The story about the caring and generosity of the fire chief was nice to read about.

Thanks for sharing

Thank you for telling us the story and congratulations on living in a great community. Too bad about the damage but as you say it could have been a lot worse. Good luck in getting all the rest of it resolved, including a non-caring insurance company.

What a wonderful story.. am very glad you and your cats are just fine and your possessions made it through as well. If there is anything I can do from afar, please feel free to ask!

Woody, thank goodness you and your cats are OK. What a scary story...

Please let me know if you need anything.

Thinking good thoughts for you in Ohio...

Woody, don't know what the total estimate is, but when you think of the amount relative to a total loss or devistating major structural damage large area fire, this really should be a relatively small claim for them and shouldn't affect your standing. Maybe it's no more than calling your agent on Monday and saying, look, I need to be able to get in touch with you if I have an emergency. Hmmm, now that you've had work done without getting an estimate first, this could get weird, I don't know, but I won't speculate. Goodluck with it!!!

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
now that you've had work done without getting an estimate first, this could get weird, I don't know, but I won't speculate.

When I called them they said it would be okay to have the power turned on and get the structure repaired. I've got a $2,500 deductible so most of this is coming out of my pocket... Regardless, it's all got to be fixed one way or the other.

Woody,
I'm glad to hear you're ok. I think I read about the lightning strike in another post. Although it didn't affect me personally, I've seen exactly what damage weather can cause. Count your blessings - one of which is living in a true community, and not just another town. I hope your inconveniences don't last too long, and your life gets back to normal soon.

...and get yourself a few more surge protectors.

Latest threads

Top Bottom