everywhere camera

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by confused, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Sorry if this is the wrong place...wasn't sure where to put it. Sorry if this has been discussed..if it has...link me pretty please.

HS starts in about 2 weeks and since my d70 just isn't manageable between books, backpack, tennis rackets, soccer stuff and any other stuff. I am looking for an ultracompact camera that has the fastest start up time and the one that has the least shutter lag. It needs to fit in my pocket so thats why it has to be ultra compact. I also need it to be the best picture quality......hopefully not that much noise or soft photos and no purple fringing (whatever that is but it sounds like a lot of them have it.) Those are basically my only 3 requirments. I do have a price range but depending on how much I want this I may spend more.

Some cameras I have looked at but have read bad things about all.

Pentax Optio WP
    FujifilmFinepix Z1
    Pentax Optio S5z
    Konica Minolta DiMage X50
    Nikon Coolpix S1

In reality...are any of these decent choices? Right now I am torn between the coolpix S1 cause I am partial to nikon but that Fujifilm Finepix Z1 looks nice. Are there others I should be looking at...Preferable price range around $300 but put up some choices over that if they are real nice. Thanks for all your help!!!!!

2. The coolpix S1 is a good choice.
    Personally I just purchased a Sony DSC-T7 as an "all round point-and-shoot".
    I am delighted with it. Fast startup time, very little shutter lag, good buffer and very good image quality (you need to work on it a bit to get the best out of it).
    The clincher: smallest ultra-compact by far!

Check it out: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T7/T7A.HTM

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I was just about to say Sony T7 too.

It's a bit expensive though, so look also at the T1, which is shaped and works the same. According to gho (who has both) the T7 has much better picture quality, in both noise and color. I used to have an Olympus Brio D-100 - only 1.3MP, no zoom and auto only, but pocketable and fast.

4. Okay maybe im bias...but I just can't stand to see myself spend a couple hundred dollars towards a sony cause ive seen how some of their cybershots perform and......it doesn't look good. When it comes to brands im biased....canon has too many powershots (sorry to canon users) which makes me not want one of theirs and sony just.....it is sony.....their other electronics are great. Maybe I don't make sense here but I get it. That camera did look pretty nice but seemed to get a few bad reviews on noise...something I might notice? maybe? I dont know

Thanks all! More suggestions appreciated!

5. Well, it does have its issues (Sony DSC-T7), but if SMALL is the objective, it delivers very well in such a tiny format. Personally I do not find noise to be an issue (@ ISO 64).
    Here is a small indoor galery at a restaurant I took yesterday: http://www.pbase.com/ripps22/bday_restaurant

6. Okay so noise is no issue...would I just be better off and cheaper off going with the s1...I mean..who doesn't like nikon? lol.

7. To me, the main issue of Sony camera is the memory stick. I have lots of CF & SD cards and just don't want to buy more cards (and memory sticks are more expensive).

8. I agree, you will do fine with the S1.
    My reason for the T7 was its size (with good picture quality): T-I-N-Y !!
    Also, I got it at a special offer at Schiphol, Amsterdam airport @ 349 Euro, a pretty good deal!!

9. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    I have the Nikon S1 and it is very convenient and as small as any other. The picture quality is tolerable up to 8X10 enlargements. None of the point and shoot cameras are extremely fast on the draw - ALL have shutter lag.

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Check out Kodak

Hey guys, don't forget about Kodak (Number 1 brand selling in the USA, 2 years in a row number 1 in customer satisfaction too)
    The new V550 or V530 are both very nice small cameras.
    I really like the V730 and V760 a lot too, but they are a little larger P&S's.

11. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Panasonic FZ5. You'd need a pretty large pocket. 12x optical zoom, 5 megapixel. Leica lens. Sometimes as low as $399. Only downside is the EVF and difficulty shooting in low light because of the dim view finder. I'm hoping Panasonic will include many of the FZ30 improvements into its little brother--FZ6 or whatever they decide to call it. It gives good results, except as noted, and has a pretty fast start up and fairly short lag time.

12. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, I like the image quality on the T7 better than on the S1 - I did check it out before I bought my T7.

IMHO, The T7 is the best digicam I've owned yet (and you don't want to know how many digicams I've owned):

13. Well Gregory after seeing that cute image of your daughter I would buy the T7 in a minute. Very well done. Course I am not in the market for a small camera.

14. I sent out the order for the s1 and just kept reading reviews and seeing photos between the s1 and fuji z1 and just had to cancel and order the z1. I was regretting buying it which no buyer wants to. On paper the statistics were better for the fuji and the photos I thought were better that I had seen from pbase. So I kind of flip flopped here but I finally did buy the camera that I was leaning towards the whole time which was the fuji z1. Can't wait till it gets here. Should be here around monday or tuesday! whoo hoo!

Thanks all for your input. Hopefully this fuji serves me well and really does work decently in low light. When I get it and take a few photos I will post up some of my test shots.

15. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    thanks Gordon. The camera continues to amaze me. I thought the T1 was good, but the T7 is just so much better - I'm really glad I decided to buy it.

16. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    So what did you end up with? Be sure to post pics when you get it, I'm sure you'll love your new Fuji.

17. Congratulations on your decision, I am sure that the Fuji will be a fine camera. Be sure to share some results when you get it.

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    And your daughter likes it too! :wink:

19. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    She still trys to steal it from me every now and then. I think she prefers it over the T1 also!

20. Okay so this is sort of the review after taking like 10 photos and a couple videos. Already I have figured out some faults that fuji could have done better.

Cons-
    1) Charging the camera. You have a cradle which you put the camera in. You put the camera in the cradle, plug a little DC plug into the cradle from this other thing in the middle that plugs into the wall. Why 2? Why not 1?

2) Taking images off the camera.....phew..this took me awhile to figure out and a little bit of reading. I had a wire of camera stuff the whole width of this room. You need a wall socket, USB port to the computer, cradle, camera....the whole thing. I plugged the USB port into the computer. Put the cradle on my monitor. The USB port had an end to go into the cradle. Then I took the wall socket, plugged that into the wall and took the other end of that. I think the AC thing into the cradle to make a whole line of camera junk across the room. Kind of stupid how they did this if you ask me.

3) You HAVE to use their software to get it onto the computer. I couldn't go into windows explorer and just do it that way. Kind of a bummer there but I sort of suspected it.

Pros-
    1) Auto mode outside works pretty decently...decent image quality.

2) INCREDIBLY small....fits in pocket. Is smaller than my wallet by far so that is nice. It could be a bit of a con since the lense is all the way on the left so my left hand sometimes gets in the way of it.

That is all I can cover right now! The video looked good. Below I have put some test shots and a short 40 or so second video. Good throw in your pocket cam. Focuses fairly fast and everything. Should be great to carry around with friends.

I might have been a bit harsh with my review but what do you expect? I have a d70 and love it to death. So this is good to have..I am glad I got it. A bit hard to charge and download images but I can work around that!

http://www.lonephoto.com/temp/waterbottle.JPG

http://www.lonephoto.com/temp/keyboard.JPG

http://www.lonephoto.com/temp/backroom.JPG

http://www.lonephoto.com/temp/treedandy.JPG

http://www.lonephoto.com/temp/reviewhouse.AVI

All in all a pretty good cam. I think the photo quality will get a little better as I go out and actually care about what I shoot...this was just running around for 5 minutes.