Evolving with light: pictures of my 3 boys

Discussion in 'People' started by avyoung, Sep 7, 2008.

1. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Hi everyone,

I put away my film SLR for many years and stuck with the digital P&S. In the process I put away my creativity, and stuck with a formula of fill flash or bounce flash.

Purchasing a DSLR last year really rekindled my interest in photography (although I am much more family oriented about it these days). I have been going in phases, ambient light only; then off camera bear flash, then multiple off camera flash with gels. I finally took my light stand out of the closet and got a 43" white shoot through umbrella. Wow, what a difference soft lighting does!!! I am hooked so I ordered another stand and umbrella.

Since I am in the umbrella phase of experimenting. I am wonder what you guy/gals think of how these pictures would fit in a family album. Ambient light shots make you feel the moment. With the umbrella shots...I'm not sure what I feel. I need some criticism and discussion.

2834704035_13b620bb9e_b.jpg
    I wasn't expecting Lukas to put up his hand, and I had a bare flash camera right/low that casted a strong shadow on his face. I still liked the shot because of his funny smile; and also because, it was the first picture of him using an shoot through umbrella (camera left/high).

2834690677_5452480550_b.jpg
    Markus just started kindergarden and is enjoying telling time with is new watch.

2835510012_97e747f641_b.jpg

2835506258_3a5465a89f_b.jpg
    My play fighting images has never looked so well-lit, nor sharp...

2835526442_5f5229c7d2_b.jpg
    Niklas is obviously not afraid of saddle sores! Previous pictures of the boys on this horse have been ambient at ISO3200. This clarity and smooth skin tone is foreign to me!

Because this softer lighting is new to me...I'm unsure how often to use it? What do you think/suggest/comments?

2. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    I really like these shots. The skin tones really are very good, and the lighting feels pretty natural. Photo album quality for sure.

3. Hey Alan, you have done well with these shots. Isn't it fun to try some new lighting things with your images? Cute boys and you have photographed them well.

4. e2blade

e2blade

Jul 24, 2008
    Peoria, AZ
    that first one took my breath away, love the lighting effects

5. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Thanks for taking the time to comment.

And yes, Gordon, it is fun trying new lighting techniques. The Cafe and its members have been very inspiring, and a fantastic place to learn from others.

6. i think these look very good, Alan
    i can't wait to see your next set

well done