Example for the Old Waterfall ss Debate

It all depends on the story one's trying to tell.

1) A quiet spot with the gentle hiss.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) Or a splash...

3) Another view.

4) And another.

Agree.
I don't shoot waterfalls enough to develop a feel for the appropriate shutter speed to use.
And because I don't know how it will look, until I look at the pic on the comptuer, like you I vary the exposure.
Sometimes it isn't the planned one that looks best.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I really like the composition in #1 and 2! The background in #2 is not quite as bright....but I like the difference in the water. Can't pick a favorite...

Agree.
I don't shoot waterfalls enough to develop a feel for the appropriate shutter speed to use.
And because I don't know how it will look, until I look at the pic on the comptuer, like you I vary the exposure.
Sometimes it isn't the planned one that looks best.
IMO large, fast flows look better with fast ss. Gives a sense of noise and power. Smaller flows work better with slow ss to give the misty feel and a sense of a gentle flow.
I really like the composition in #1 and 2! The background in #2 is not quite as bright....but I like the difference in the water. Can't pick a favorite...
Thanks, Karen. You can see the sky was partly cloudy so the sunlit area was constantly changing. I exposed with the foreground and lived with what happened in the BG and did the best I could in post.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom